Anti-aircraft defence in SC2

Panzer39

I think when an airfleet flys over an enemy controled hex/hexs on its way to target it should have a small percentage chance of being reduced in strength because of anti-aircraft fire before it reaches its target. The percent of getting damage could increase with anti-air tech. Any thoughts?

Perhaps if it flew over a city, port or mine, as these are the places that would have had the heavy AA guns.

However, I don't think that they'd be very effective, at least not until AA research was getting quite advanced.

My Grandad spent 5 years in AA batteries during the war, and he was convinced that they never shot anything down. Looking at the stats from air raids, AA fire did do some damage, but not a great deal (or at least not to the extent where it would knock off more than 1 or 2 points of strength).

But I wonder whether this is already factored in to the losses air units receive when they attack a target?

Thinking about it further, it strikes me that it is wrong that HQs have no AA defense.

When you consider that the HQ represents not just the command structure but also the logistical network backing up the front line, in reality they had a good share of AA.

These would be placed at key target areas, such as bridges, railheads, and road junctions, and would tend to be a mixture of medium and light guns.

Therefore I think that in SC2 a HQ should have the capability to damage attacking aircraft. In SC I always like attacking a HQ that's in range (be warned for our forthcoming game! ;) ) as it's a cheap way to gain experience at no cost.

It should just be made a little bit harder.

I think bombers would have flown to and from a target at too high an altitude for AA batteries to bother, or even reach them! They'd drop lower over the target itself and on the final approach they'd recieve anti-aircraft ground fire.

Farther off, either on the way in or the way out, they'd be attacked by interceptors; but I know of no instance were AA fire was involved.

I'm sure it happened during the raids on Germany, but I'll have to check the books I read (and they're in the library, so it won't be today).

You're right about the altitude, so it would just be heavy AA (75mm upwards), if any.

The problem of AA defence is an interesting subject, and a strategic game based around air battles could be good (SC3?).

I have played some air war computer games in the past that weren't really any fun, apart from the flight simulations, but I've just thought that the SC concept could do it.

Battle of Britain anyone?

Bill,

air battles could be good (SC3?).

SC3 the man says! :D

I have played some air war computer games in the past that weren't really any fun, apart from the flight simulations, but I've just thought that the SC concept could do it.

There was one I used to play on the C-64 back in the eighties called Europe Ablaze! by that Australian team, I've forgotten their name, but I remember one member was Ian Trout. They made some other excellent war games for DOS. Europe Ablaze had three scenarios: The Battle of Britain 1940; The Interim 1941-43; and Over Germany 1944-45.

Does anyone else remember that one?

It was very good and took many factors into consideration even beyond tactics and targets, etc. .. And, it had a unit editor!

How about an option where you could order all defending air fleets in range to intercept the first airfleet that comes within range.

ie 3 Airfleets intercept 1 attacking airfleet.

Of course this means that any following attacking airfleet would face no interceptors, but it would add some strategy & tactics to the air war.

So;

Order 1- Standard

Order 2- Do Not Intercept

Order 3- Mass Intercept - all air units intercept first attacking air unit that comes in range.

Order 4- Intercept on Attackers Return Leg (ie Intercept after Attackers have hit their target and are returning to base)

Order 5- Do Not intercept first attacking unit.(to bait the attacker into sending in a weak air unit to attack)

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

How about an option where you could order all defending air fleets in range to intercept the first airfleet that comes within range.

ie 3 Airfleets intercept 1 attacking airfleet.

Of course this means that any following attacking airfleet would face no interceptors, but it would add some strategy & tactics to the air war.

So;

Order 1- Standard

Order 2- Do Not Intercept

Order 3- Mass Intercept - all air units intercept first attacking air unit that comes in range.

Order 4- Intercept on Attackers Return Leg (ie Intercept after Attackers have hit their target and are returning to base)

Order 5- Do Not intercept first attacking unit.(to bait the attacker into sending in a weak air unit to attack)

I really like this idea, I hope it makes it in as a feature.

Hi Jersey and Edwin. My dad was in coast artillery/AA during WWII. He used to tell me that they were told that their main function was to disrupt rather than to destroy enemy attack(ers).

Edwin has hit on the key WWII concept: The ONLY effective AA defence is/was other aircraft. The Germans had AAA everywhere, but once the Luftwaffe was incapacitated, their cities took it on the chin.

It's unlikely that aircraft flying over random field armies would have been significantly affected by AA fire, I think.