Is It Worth $25?

Some_God

Games for PC or other platforms are getting rather pricy these days - $59.99 for hot new titles. This game is not a masterpiece of cutting edge technology and 3D modeling. But I can say that it is one of the very best strategic level games I have ever played. I dont want to pay any more than I have to, but even if the game was $40 I would still have bought it, still enjoyed it, and still felt I got a good value out of my purchase.

Yes, the demo was too short. I played it obsessively, trying to win the war within the year it gave me :D .

Finally, I broke down and bought the full game.

The full game is just like the demo - except you have until May 1946 to win the war.

It's well worth the $25.

I got a LOT of enjoyment out of it (and still do).

The game is easily worth $25. It has reasonable replayablity and PBEM and hotseat against other people add to the diversity. If it had a random map generator and random unit starting locations/composition, it would be worth $60 since it would be completely different every time (and I guess not WWII but you could play it for the rest of your life!). :D

I was totally convinced by the demo as it seemed like i was exactly waiting for a WW2 grand strategy game of the featured scale with a bit politics involved and technology research as well. In Germany its not as usual as in the US to pay everything with credit card so i had to bid for it @ a well-known auctioneers and paid far more than the original amount but so what!!! No question it was worth it :rolleyes:

I agree with everyone here. Buy it! I have games that I have paid $70-80CDN for and they sit collecting dust in a shoe box. SC does not sit in any shoe box! (well, maybe if SC2 come out ;) ) I would have paid the same $70-80 for SC and been quite happy with the decision. SC was a steal at $25USD.

And plus, it is written in Eiffel which is *very* cool! :D

cheers,

Ray

I would have payed 25 dollars for the demo. Ok, maybe not, but 10 bucks hell yeah!

The seven years it gives you is more than enough to conquer the entire map as either side, if you wish to do so. The replay value is high, as you can choose multiple ways to prosecute a war, and its different each time. Plus, the new patch gives it a better ai and tcp/ip. It is an incredible work if you dont mind old school graphics and sound fx.

Buy it, its the best $25 youll ever spend on a game, maybe anything.

Originally posted by JayJay_H:

I was totally convinced by the demo as it seemed like i was exactly waiting for a WW2 grand strategy game of the featured scale with a bit politics involved and technology research as well. In Germany its not as usual as in the US to pay everything with credit card so i had to bid for it @ a well-known auctioneers and paid far more than the original amount but so what!!! No question it was worth it :rolleyes:

Is it not available in Germany?

Originally posted by Flash Gordon:

[QBIs it not available in Germany?[/QB]

nah, you wont get it at any shops thought over there its the same :confused: only exclusively from mighty battlefront.com, okay shipping works of course if you got a credit card like some friends of mine

Originally posted by Flash Gordon:

What exactly is Eiffel?

I know SC was written using it - is it some sort of programming language? What's it like?

I have just taken a look at it in the last month or so (because of SC). Your best bet is to ask Hubert for the full story, but here is my take (based on limited experience).

Yeah, it is an object oriented langauge (very object oriented). The syntax is Ada-like. It is quite easy to learn and very forgiving to program in. Eiffel seems to be more than the language though, in that it is closely tied to a very mature design methodology. I am very impressed with Eiffel. I have been in a C/C++ shop for the past several years, and it would be a pleasure to make the switch (not likely given my boss ;).

Incase you are interested, I will recommend a book, Object Oriented Software Construction 2nd Edition by Bertrand Meyer (the creator of Eiffel). Hubert recommended this to me and I have read it twice already.

Hope this is of some help!

cheers,

Ray

Originally posted by JayJay_H:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flash Gordon:

[QBIs it not available in Germany?

nah, you wont get it at any shops thought over there its the same :confused: only exclusively from mighty battlefront.com, okay shipping works of course if you got a credit card like some friends of mine[/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Brian Rock:

I've bought eight games from BFC and never been disappointed with a purchase. This includes SC.

(Now for bonus points: anybody care to guess how I got to eight given there are only four games listed for sale? And no, it's not multiple copies.)

u got the demos?

I would have paid 50$ for SC. It is simply the best strategic game ever, with best playability, without boring micromanagement, nice graphics (add also the mods), highest fun-level, depth and everything!!!

It is for the stratetic gamers, what was Doom once for the 3D-shooters! A milestone in gaming history. Buy not one, buy TWO to benefit the ingenius programer HUBERT!

Originally posted by Brian Rock:

I've bought eight games from BFC and never been disappointed with a purchase. This includes SC.

(Now for bonus points: anybody care to guess how I got to eight given there are only four games listed for sale? And no, it's not multiple copies.)

You have a PC AND a Mac?

Some_God

This Game is worth $25.00 and then some! It will provide you with game play that will change every time whether you’re playing against the "AI" or a Human opponent. It's challenging, simple and complex all rolled into one great game! I will guarantee you won't be wasting your time or money. Look on your shelf and count how many games you no longer play that sit there and collect dust and how much did they all cost? This game will provide you with strong competitive game play over and over again! Hubert(the creator)has supplied patches and upgrades on demand for his gaming public without delay. My hats off to Mr.Hubert and this fine company for providing quality games that the board gaming industry gave up on!

Buy the game! Play the game! And believe me when I say this you got it at a "bargain price"!

Let me know when your ready to play because i'm available to play!

- Heith