Allied invasion strategies

JJColorado

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the game and am just trying to get a handle on Allied counterattack strategy.

If the Axis holds Spain, Vichy, the Med, and Scandinavia, what's the best place to go at them?

SPAIN - seems very difficult because the only port is at Gib and that is a tough hext to take, especially since you can't put air in western North Africa because there is no port there to supply the air units. So, the Allies are faced w/ landing in Iberia with no supply port to use and then trying to take Gib - seems VERY risky.

FRANCE - This seems to be the standard but it's also going right at the German's strongest defences.

SCANDINAVIA - Norway seems possible especially if the Germans don't have much air up there. The Allies could probably liberate Oslo before the Germans could effectively react and then go into Sweden as well. That could then serve as a good air base and open up more invasion options in northern Europe.

Can someone(s) clue me in to some decent allied invasion plans? (invasion point, air basing, etc).

Thanks!

John

If you want to hurt German production go for Norway then Sweden.

If you want to relieve pressure on the Russian front then go for France. You can support any invasion of France with air fleets based in the UK.

The key is to launch an invasion only after the US has built a HQ unit and you have your 3 UK carriers available for support.

PS: Target the Axis Airfleets before all else. Thats a loss of 400MPP that the Axis will find hard to replace.

Can someone(s) clue me in to some decent allied invasion plans? (invasion point, air basing, etc).
No, what your asking would take a book. In fact it does, look for the Stratgy guide at the SC HQ wed site.

SPAIN - seems very difficult because the only port is at Gib and that is a tough hext to take, especially since you can't put air in western North Africa because there is no port there to supply the air units. So, the Allies are faced w/ landing in Iberia with no supply port to use and then trying to take Gib - seems VERY risky. </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Spain is only usefull as a raiding point. First if you can land a corps in a ungaurded city, great. But more then likly your only going to have a chance at landing 1-2 corps and let them die while they run around and cut the supply line to NF and tie down several axis corps for 2-6 turns.

FRANCE - This seems to be the standard but it's also going right at the German's strongest defences.

</font>

SCANDINAVIA - Norway seems possible especially if the Germans don't have much air up there. The Allies could probably liberate Oslo before the Germans could effectively react and then go into Sweden as well. That could then serve as a good air base and open up more invasion options in northern Europe.

This is the middle east of SC - poor supply for both sides and tough (transport only) to bring in new units. This is a great place to raid and/or attack but if the axis really want to hold it (due to the higher level of supply) you can't stop them unless you cut all three ports off from the main land (bomb or blocade). [/QB]

I would say that its best to attack Norway then Sweden if you are relatively weak in the west, as this will boost up your income and deprive the enemy of quite a lot of resources.

I always look at resources with a view to not only what they will give me, but also what their capture will deprive the enemy of.

For example, the mine in Norway which is giving the enemy 16MPP, if captured will give me 10MPP, thus it will swing the economic war 26MPP in my favour.

If you look at things from that point of view then liberating Norway and Sweden will swing MPP production 182 points in the allies favour (I hope I've done my sums right!).

Landing in France will not have the same effect as France is not worth so many MPPs to the Axis.

Another problem with France is that once you liberate Paris the UK or US no longer receive MPPs for French towns and ports. The French get the MPPs, but it will be quite a few turns before you will be able to build your first French unit.

However, if you are very strong then go for France, and then advance on Germany.

I've done it before where I took Norway, Sweden, then Denmark, and finally I landed in France. It all took a while, which means that the Russians have got to be doing ok.

Landing just west of Kiel (from the western side of the Danish peninsula) or in southwestern Sweden will do the trick of cutting off Scandinavia's supply, and their MPP income will fall too!

Have lots of corps ready to do these things, and to threaten elsewhere. Do this just before or at the same time as you invade, and do your best to keep your target unknown from the enemy.

If you bomb France one turn, and attack Brest with several fleets, then the enemy may expect a landing there rather than in Norway which you haven't attacked.

Remember also that a threat to land can be useful too, for the Axis might operate air fleets, and send troops and HQs to Norway just in case, only to find your transports landing somewhere else instead.

[ October 23, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Bill101 ]

The Allied player needs to carefully consider whether he can go for Norway and then western Europe (France) simultaneously or in quick succession. Usually you can't. Norway can be very difficult to take unless you catch an Axis player off-guard. If you waste time up there, it's usually to the Axis player's benefit even if Norway is lost.

That's the risk you take going for the edges of the Axis empire - Scandinavia, Spain, Greece/Balkans. It takes time and effort to achieve limited gains, and you risk getting bogged down. Remember, Rome and Berlin are the objectives, and the sooner you get a solid foothold on mainland Europe with a direct attack path to those capitals the better off you are.

How to do that? First - gain air and naval superiority, that's essential. Second - invade and capture a city. With a city and HQ, you expand from there. Easier said then done depending on the situation, but that's the formula you must follow. It's not rocket science. ;)

Many people mention that you loose the MPP to France when you free the Capital.

You simply don't take the Capital.

BUT France getting MPPs is no big deal, you simply use them to make Corps to guard Cities near the enemy (Spain border if Axis, Italian / France border and some German cities).

I just like how you can move quickly on the mainland compared to the mountain areas of Spain, Scandinavia and Italy.