In post-Poland invasion which way did these countries lean (Axis vs Allies)?

japinard

I've been doing a bit of research on Ireland, specifically from an article in The Irish Sword, magazine of the Military History Society of Ireland.

Now, although the situation of Ireland with regards to the Allies or Axis during the early period of the war (end 1939 - late 1941) is complicated, if one has to decide either way, the government was effectively more Allied than Axis. Giving Ireland to the Axis would be historically wrong.

If Britain had been invaded AND conquered then things might have been different, but despite disagreements and hostility between their respective prime ministers, there was co-operation between the two governments right from the start of the war.

If anyone wants me to post some examples then I'd be happy to.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liam

Much Thanks My Friend, very glad to be back.

Wrote a fairly detailed reply yesterday that wound up being erradicated, along with a bunch of other posts by the Grinch or whatever it was that struck. As I said in that one, you put in too many interesting points for a single quick response, though I'd like to jump at each of them. In a bit of a time crunch today, the business has become so lucrative that I'm out looking for a job! :D

Will chip away at your post when I return, leaving a string of resumes turned into paper airplanes in my wake. ;)

Japinard

There was such a huge amount of posting by so many of us -- you were right up there -- probably too many posts at one time, but so much of it was really good, what a shame.

I think you had the Ireland Post, which seems to have just been completely wiped out, and it was full of interesting material which would have been added to.

For my own posts, I vaguely recall what I said, but not specifically where it would have gone and haven't been able to set any of it back in place today.

By now I guess it's certain those posts are forever lost.

It shows how dependant we all are on each others posts -- take away the entry that triggered a response and the response is suddenly out of context and doesn't make much sense by itself.

Anyway, it's a great sign that everything perked up that way, and it's remained more lively than it was before the event, which is very good.

[ January 30, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

John ;) good to hear from you we'll discuss things I'm certian over a cup of tea and a game of SC. Always fun to learn from a real aficionado of History and SC

Japinard:

Ireland, being part Irish back in the blood way back and part gypsy I'll speak for the Irish People here ;)

"We'd NEVER SERVE ADOLF!" But Hell with the English too to be quite frank

The Irish Sword, magazine of the Military History Society of Ireland, is available from

MILITARY HISTORY SOCIETY OF IRELAND

Newman House, University College,

86, St Stephen's Green, Dublin, 2

Eire

They publish articles on all aspects of military history that involved Irish soldiers, which means that they cover just about every conflict. They are very helpful but back issues do cost (I joined the society as back issues are cheaper to members).

The article I was looking at is in Volume XXII, Number 90, Winter 2001. It is called "Fort Shannon: a case history in Anglo-Irish co-operation during the second world war".