FIRST ROUND OF THE GREAT WAR TOURNAMENT:

Brad T. (Triple Alliance) vs.

Easypeaziman (Central Powers)

Terif (Triple Alliance) vs.

DalmatiaPartisan (Central Powers)

Jergan88 (Triple Alliance) vs.

Piumarcobaleno (Central Powers)

Comrade Trapp (Triple Alliance) vs.

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim (Central Powers)

All games are to be finished By Monday May 5th

ALL PLAYERS MUST FOLLOW THE HOUSE RULES

EDIT: ALL PLAYERS MUST DOWNLOAD NEW VERSION HERE:

http://ww2n.com/schq/cam.htm

[ April 27, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Carl G. E. von Mannerheim ]

Game is to be played on 1.06 or on 1.07? Let's fix this; i know that it fixes mostly airpower issues, but i haven't installed 1.07 yet, and i wish to know if i have to do it now because the tournament is in .07, or not, to avoid having to reinstall the game with .06.

ALSO

If everybody puts in a sixth french army, shouldn't her be named in a common way? I supposed that "6th Army" would be fit.

ALSO

So it's not allowed to develop rockets and subs, that are already available to field?

ALSO

If USA enters the war, russian "green" resources what will do? Will the Central Powers player be allowed to try to grab them?

[ April 27, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Piumarcobaleno ]

Some questions:

- Most important thing first: Germany is allowed to build 3 rocket units..

France 1 rocket, UK ? (2 for UK and Italy ?), but rockets for UK and Russia is useless and they will never be built. With Lv0 and no research allowed they only have a range of 1. So Allies have only one rocket, Germany three.

Perhaps this is a bit unfair. If GERMANY can use three rockets they can kill every unit in their way to Paris and WILL WIN without a doubt. Three is too much, no unit survives 2 army and 3 rocket attacks. One for each side would be ok.

-Germany is allowed to attack russian units in their second turn. Its also Russias second turn. Does the russian units have the right to attack german units that are adjacent to them, or can they only watch and see how germans are attacking them without doing something besides reinforcing ?

-Is it allowed to move transports everywhere ? If so, it would be possible to capture a russian city in the mainland like Rostov or Stavropol. If this happens does Russia surrenders as well, or has the city captured - necessary for surrender - be one of the 3 western cities ?

-Italy: I guess no border crossing means also that no Italian unit may help in France until July 1915 (=July1941),but they can move to the borders in the meantime ?

-same question like Piumarcobaleno: is it allowed to capture the US ressources in Russia when they come in ? If not, its perhaps a bit complicated because of the route finding of the units: they will sometimes move over a green field, even if it is not the target... what happens if they do so accidentially ?

Hey what's up with this tournament? Everybody flees in front of Terif? ;)

I'd say that russian units can attack only adjacent units, to stick to CvM house rules.

In my opinion transport should be allowed to land only in friendly ports, but that's the Churchill's Turkey Gambit, so i don't know on this matter..

On the rocket's matter, i'd say that every rocket unit should stick to his front: German one in russia or in france, Austro-hungarian in russia or Italy; was Turkey having such a big gun? Maybe turkey shouldn't be allowed one.

I'd say italian units could not be moved until one or two months before the DoW, and no unit could be built in italy before i'd say two or three months, but maybe history is against me on this point, i don't know.

To fix usa's problem, i don't know; maybe relocating her russian resources in urals\northern cities (Helsinki, Leningrad, thus making it easier for the axis player to avoid passing next to them and conquering them.

Wow all the intrest for WW1. I think that WW1 was a bore and terrible waste of the flower of Europe for now real reason. Defense rules the day, like Verdun, that's exciting! Anyway I looked at the map you guys are playing on and noticed that Bulgaria, Greece and Romania are on the wrong side. Bulgaria was with the Central Powers. Greece and Romania were with the Allies. Have fun with your trench warfare! It's not for me. The only neat part of WW1 was the Battle of Jutland!

SeaWolf

I think the incorrect nation allignment is because CvM is trying to balance out the MPPs, also limiting them so it isn't only a matter of impenetrable lines of trenches. I'm sure he knows which nation entered the war on which side and when but there's no way to handle neutrals without starting them and using house rules. There are big problems, such as how to get Italy fighting Germany with it's proper entry date, and achieving the same result in the minor Balkan states, having them line up on cue and on the right side while maintaining an MPP balance.

He doesn't want the board to be swamped with units -- which would really lead to hopeless stalemates -- so he's trying to keep the MPPs as an answer.

I had similar problems with the Brest-Litovsk Scenario and ended up with a large number of units on the map, though that wasn't what I wanted. Probably CvM saw that and began working on ways to get around it.

So much is posted about the SC combat model resembling WW I without the aircraft and this scenario is a good way to put that idea to the test.

A dedicated WW I game could be strategically interesting. Perhaps if something like the Gallipoli campaign succeeds, for example, the whole deadlock can be broken open long before the historical war ended.

But you're perfectly correct that short of a decisive breakthrough somewhere the war would be prone to hopeless deadlocks and attrition. A would be a matter of seeing which side reaches exhaustion first.

CvM found an interesting twist here as well but allowing the players to negotiate with each in peace treaties to set up the starting positions for the next war where all the weapons of WW II can be freely employed.

I think it's a great experiment and probably that's what all the interest is about as opposed to being in the First World War itself.

Comrade Trapp and myself have been playing it via PBEM and, considering the details are still being worked out, we're having an interesting time in a strange framework.

[ May 01, 2003, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

HAHAHAHA, thanks CvM, why the delay though? and I don't know how it happend, I signed off of MSN and AOL and got some screen, and take it in and its toast, im still confused how I could get 92 viruses, and not even know how, or it was going on.

[ May 02, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Brad T. ]

• 4 weeks later...