The value of industrial technology research

Col. Kurtz

I have a newbie question concerning industrial technology research. Since IT research reduces the price for purchasing all units in the game and reduces the price for reinforcing them isn't it cost-effective to sink your research points into IT as quickly as possible? Does the cheaper replacement and reinforcement costs for units "negate" the tech advantage an opponent may have in a specific category he might have chosen?

IT is most excellent, especially for the Gerries. Put at least 1-chit into IT as Germany. I like putting 1-chit as Italy & UK.

Russia starts with IT+2, they can wait on it. Obviously, putting the research chit in earlier is better, but that depends on the game situation & the priorities. I'd explain more, but I don't feel like typing smile.gif

Actually, there are some great threads in the archieves about this subject, with plenty of statistically wannabees numbers. I remember a poll on IT spending too. This would be a good assignment for a newbie to dig the archieves up.

[ May 27, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

IT is 4th

Jet 1st

LR Jet 2nd

Anti Air 3rd

then IT

I say place 1 chit a piece on Tank and Anti-Tank tech. Watch what the Enemy does. Double or triple that if they seem to be gaining in those areas, keep of your recon so you know what he's doing.

AT 3-4 Can be deadly and then would take Priority over IT

for UK, LR and JET is about all you can afford

Russia depends... I prefer to go full jet and anti tank

USA Fully Anti Tank and Jet also

Italy... Nothing, pump out as many corps as humanely possible

I agree with Kurt, if Italy's Navy is intact and the allies leave a land unit in Malta. I usually like to put a chit in for Italy to try to pump up its Navy and I start pinging away on Malta to get experience. If you can get a few bars of experience and a tech increase for the Italian Navy those ships can do some real damage.

Kurt I find it annoying somehow that my Italian fleet usually is pretty weak. Even with experience and tech. it's an idea...

but well, imagine 5 Armies, with Gariboldi 2 Stars. Imagine that on top of 3 German Corps, 2 German Tanks, 3-4 German Fighters...with 2 nice HQs behind them... Let the Allies come for France... It's unlikely the Allies will stop this. Operate over 1 Army Group From Russia for a Turn and bam, Channel Run

Originally posted by Liam:

IT is 4th

Jet 1st

LR Jet 2nd

Anti Air 3rd

then IT

I say place 1 chit a piece on Tank and Anti-Tank tech. Watch what the Enemy does. Double or triple that if they seem to be gaining in those areas, keep of your recon so you know what he's doing.

AT 3-4 Can be deadly and then would take Priority over IT

for UK, LR and JET is about all you can afford

Russia depends... I prefer to go full jet and anti tank

USA Fully Anti Tank and Jet also

Italy... Nothing, pump out as many corps as humanely possible

I agree with Liam almost completetly except Italy. I usually set 1-2 chits on AT for Italy and sometimes 1-2 chits GunLaying Radar.