effectiveness of .50 machine gun "Ma deuce"

Hello everyone ! I know this subject have been covered earlier since I used the search button and found some stuff... In one of the post they mentioned a penetration chart for the MG-42 and .50 machien gun against lightly armored vehicules. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the link, it was no longer available... anyone knows where I could get that chart now ? BTW, I knocked out a panzer IVh with a .50 shooting in the rear ! How about that ! LOL

Greetings,

Patrick :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

Can someone explain how that chart works - it looks pretty, but what does it all mean to your average CM player?

CDIC (With brain in neutral today)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a Rohrbach test : put paint in a sheet, fold it in two, unfold, interpret the figures... :D:D

No, actually it gives the % chance of penetration (red 100% to white= 0), according to range (concentric circles) and angle (front of the target is top). There are 2 charts :

One says

"A MG42 can't kill a M3 above 200 m, but under that can have it at any "straight" non angled aspect",

The other says "M2 .50cal eats Spw251 whenever it wants, except from front over 200 m". Verified it yesterday another time, it worked smile.gif

Clear ?

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Pascal DI FOLCO ]

I have had my ma deuces kill german halftracks at somewhat over 500 meters. German halftrack are at a severe disadvantage versus Ami, not Brit, halftracks. Indeed, Ami halftracks and 50 cal teams are nearly as good as it gets as killers of German halftracks.

Cheers, Richard

I'll concur to this stuff. I've lost more than enough Axis HT's to .50 cals. That's when you bring the StuH'42 in. To add to that light armor penetration capability, it is the only other MG that comes close (maybe better?) than the popular MG42 in infantry killing firepower. What keeps the MG42 better in this department is that .50 cal teams carry much less ammo.

You tried hauling boxes of .50 cal ammo around? From personal experience, I'll garauntee you'll be alot stronger afterwards...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

The other says "M2 .50cal eats Spw251 whenever it wants, except from front over 200 m". Verified it yesterday another time, it worked smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a closer look at those charts you'll see that the concentric circles use different distance scales for the MG 42 & the 50 cal. Therefore the 50 cal. can in fact penetrate a German halftrack out to about 400 metres if you look closely at the relative scales.

Regards

Jim R.