LOS Bug, Heavy Fog

I've run across an LOS bug during heavy fog scenarios. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are the pictures.

First two pics display being able to draw LOS to either side of the two story building:

los1.jpg

los2.jpg

----- Now attempting to draw LOS to the building fails. I tried it from all angles and attempted to draw LOS to the 2nd story, too! -----

los3.jpg

los4.jpg

----- I still cannot target the building after deleting the wall with the editor. -----

los5.jpg

[This message has been edited by Lacky (edited 01-15-2001).]

that be the new feature in 1.1 you see that house is in Hide orders, just thank your lucky stars that its not sneeking up on your troops.. my suggestion is run a engineer unit up to the house and slap a condemed notice on it, it will rot and fall apart in a matter of minutes then you can build a parking lot where it stood. I hope that helped.

Lacky ignore mensch he slipped away from another thread when the moderator wasn't looking

Mensch get back to the "time to lock the forum and concentrate on Peng thread" where you belong and quit harassing the little people.

Arien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arien:

Mensch get back to the "time to lock the forum and concentrate on Peng thread" where you belong and quit harassing the little people.

Arien<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you kidding I just spent 3 hours getting out of my straight jacket and found the backdoor key to the pool in the flour tin in the kitchen.. nope I will enjoy the freedom till those buggers in the white truck try to get me... now lets see if there are any other CM'ers to molest before they catch me.

btw.. try using the new MP unit in CM 1.1 to span police tape / crime scene, around the house.. that way the enemy will not enter the house and your fear of a zook or schreck hiding in ambush will be waved. Works fine for me also use them to draw alot of chalked outlines around the house, this makes enemy forces think the house is dangerous or the Scream III Mod is in effect.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mensch:

nope I will enjoy the freedom till those buggers in the white truck try to get me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you responded just how they wanted you to. just a few more posts and they will have your location..

i on the other hand like to use the airport chrishnas much better than the charity collectors most troops can't stand the singing that they do..

OK, all that .... is entertaining, but it does not answer the question, which I think is a very good one.

I think the program has some trouble deciding how far LOS can go into a house. I suspect that LOS is OK up to the house in the example you gave, but as soon as you get into the house it blocks. Perhaps a tolerance needs to be adjusted?

I've seen similar things. What I've decided about LOS is that obstacles are additive. So, for example, you start with LOS=100%. Then for every meter of woods, subtract a specific percentage. It works the same for any obstacle. That wall is probably accounting for 90+% of your LOS. I've seen the same thing when trying to target a building through trees. As soon as the target line touches it, that last little bit of LOS is eaten up and it reads sight blocked. Of course when I'm using a big gun, I don't need to see inside the house, just the front so I can hit it.

curih

Mensh's wit is superb! smile.gif

I believe curih is accurate with his observation of concealment. It's unforunate the LOS code didn't permit my mortar carriage to fire at the building. Perhaps Charles can think of a clever way to tweek the code in CM2.