A question about mods.

I hope some kind sole will answer as I don't know who else to ask except for some knowledgeable person from this forum. The question is; If I had say a blue box and it's batch numbers were 1,2,3,4 & 5 and I decided I liked the red box better also numbered 1,2,3,4 &5 of course, when I replaced the blue batch files with the new red ones what happens to the blue box mod? I mean do they just disappear or are they somewhere in my hard drive taking up space or hurting something. I hope this is clear? I am worried about hard drive space and I've replaced so many mods with others I'm a little worried that I'm really loading up my hard drive. I'd appreicate anyone answering. Thanks in advance. ;)

Aren't we computer literate?

:D

Suppose you are using Feldgrau's outstanding Bren Carrier/Wasp.

You'll find for example the BMP number 3680 as the following files:

3680_uk

3680_ca

3680_po

Each one takes the exact same amount of HD considering they are all HiRes and the same size.

Now you may have downloaded that awful Wasp a French did a while back whose optional file were not the same.

Chances are that if you hadn't deleted the previous Froggish MOD, you'd be sporting some odd file like the following:

3680_B

3680_MM

3680_MMB

Each one of those would also be the same size and save for 3680, none of the others would have been overwritten by Feldgrau's files.

The net result would be some 1Mb of no more used MODs that would clutter your HD.

Considering the number of MODs and the number of options, the inflation could be quite drastic.

Hope that helped.

If not, hang yourself...

:D

[Edited to make it even less understandable]

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: PawBroon ]

The above only applies to batch mods with alternate names. If you're simply replacing 3234.bmp with another 3234.bmp the original WILL be overwritten... UNLESS you've got a mac and are using the ModManager. Then the bmp file will be overwritten but a backup of the original art file will be created 'just-in-case'.

Hey, thanks alot guys. I understand and will be needing to get rid of a lot of numbers that I don't need. I'm glad I asked. Now maybe I'll be able to download a new grass mod that I've been putting off doing because of space. And Pawbroon hang your own self I got it. ;)

Yeah Pvt.Ryan I actually am thinking about adding a larger drive but not real soon. I actually have a brand new 20 GM sitting here but think I'll wait and just replace the one in my computer also 20 GM with a much larger one. I don't really understand computers that well and just can't help but believe that a second drive would complicate things for me. It's hard enough as it is with trying to keep things simple but thanks for the idea. I might just try it. After all it is a brand new drive never been used. It's only 52 RPM and sounds like the better ones are like 7200 RPM's so I thought it might be best to wait for the time I can just go with the faster one. ;)

I think it is a bit easier to install a second drive rather than replacing your existing drive, but people do it all the time, so it can't be that hard. I added a second drive to my last computer and all that was involved was opening the case, sliding the drive in, connecting a few cables, and installing the software. When you replace a drive you have to back up all your data and reinstall your operating system (AFAIK). A faster drive is better, but if you already have a drive you might want to use it. The only new thing to consider when using the new drive is that you will have a new drive letter and you will have to decide where to install or save stuff and then remember where you put it, but it's not complicated at all.

Well if I do use the extra one I have on hand I'll get somebody to do it. I might be able to figure out how to actually install it but installing the software is were I don't have a clue. But I've got a guy that would probably do it for me for very little. I guess it wouldn't hurt and I might just need the space with this new CMMOS program. Now that's got me excited. Plus with CM2 coming out soon I'll probably need it. Well, I think you've talked me in to it. Thanks for your help and prodding Pvt.Ryan. Now where's those mods. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Well if I do use the extra one I have on hand I'll get somebody to do it. I might be able to figure out how to actually install it but installing the software is were I don't have a clue. But I've got a guy that would probably do it for me for very little. I guess it wouldn't hurt and I might just need the space with this new CMMOS program. Now that's got me excited. Plus with CM2 coming out soon I'll probably need it. Well, I think you've talked me in to it. Thanks for your help and prodding Pvt.Ryan. Now where's those mods. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lee, if you don't mind me asking....how old are you?

Is this your first computer?

Maximus, Pvt. Ryan was right and good guess it was I am 53 years old. Why do you ask? Or do I not want to know? Thanks Pvt. Ryan for your comment in regards to Maximus's question but I'm sure he meant no rudeness. I've been asking what to him probably seems like pretty dumb questions. He seems to be a highly intelligent guy and is just shocked with some of the ones I come up with. No problem. But you are right I just got my first computer about a year ago and am just not into machines or mechanical and never have been so this computer is just plain foreign to me. I really am interested in this game however and am going to figure it out or else. I actually am interested in trying to learn to do mods. Just decided today. So will be asking more dumb questions but will try to do it by email rather then thur this board. Anyway Maximus there you have it. Now why do you ask. Now I'm curious? smile.gif