Noob Alert!

Heya there. I just ordered CM after hearing all sorts of good things about it on the WW2OL boards. Have to take some refuge from that game until they get their stuff straigtened out.

So I know about all the mods on CMHQ and I read the great article on which to install and what order. Now is there anything I should know about the mods that isn't widely known? Are there things I should know that aren't in the game manual? And what the heck is the PENG challenge? These things and more I want to know. So anyone who can, lay down some wisdom on my brain so I can make my CM playing experience the best it can be!

Grr...dunno if I can wait until next week to get the game in the mail! I might have to drive to their offices to pick it up! :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Danzig wrote:

is there anything I should know about the mods that isn't widely known?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't appear to be widely known that modifications are optional and do not necessarily improve the graphics so much as change them. You might like to give the supplied graphics a try for a while before you go changing things. BTS and co spent a lot of time producing them. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Are there things I should know that aren't in the game manual?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a look at my "CM Thread Archive" page linked below. It contains many of the most oft-discussed topics concerning the way CM models its subject matter.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And what the heck is the PENG challenge?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing in question was originally a challenge to a PBEM game made by Seanachai to MrPeng, made public through a thread on this forum called "Peng, I Take Our Challenge Public". The thread soon became the biggest on this or any other board, reaching around 2000 posts. It then imploded, but forever since has lived on in a series of threads which have been forbidden from exceeding around 300 posts.

Welcome Danzig!

Glad you found your way over. If you're interested in adding the mods, you might want to start dl now before the CD arrives as you'll want to spend all your time playing the game. Wait, no, I think a lot of folks spend all there time modding the game. Well, whichever camp you fall into, you'll be doing something useful by dl'ing ahead of time. :D

Don't listen to Aitken as he doesn't believe in improving upon something. Because when you really down down to it, BTS really didn't spend a lot of time on the textures originally. That will be very apparent when you look at such stock textures like the Humber Scout Car, Daimler Scout Car, Churchills, etc.

The stock graphics are in most people's opinion pretty much suck. They are what we consider low-res. In other words, the file sizes are relatively small.

You will notice that they are what we call hi-res mods. These are mods which use file sizes double and sometimes even triple the size of the original file sizes. This is done to allow the artist to easier paint in a higher level of detail in the file. Because the larger the file, the more the pixels available to manipulize. But of course as you add in more and more hi-res mods, the more VRAM it will take to run them smoothly. I have a 1.2GHz Athlon with a 64MB Geforce 2 GTS card so it doesn't bother my machine a whole lot. However I upgraded from a Celeron 433 with a 32MB TNT2 card and it was getting very choppy with large maps.

The first mods you'll want to get are probably the Mad-Dog Mod Packs, they include some new trees, bases, and some vehicle mods that aren't found anywhere else. Also be sure to grab the MDMP sounds as well.

But then I'd get DD's Trees. But really, the best terrain mod is Magua's Normandy Pack. It will give you the most photorealistic terrain look yet. But I'd use Juju's Woods Bases with the Normandy set. For buildings, you'll most definately want to get Panzertruppen's buildings. They are featured in about every screenshot you'll see.

For vehicles, get everything by Marco Bergman, Fernando J. Buil Carrera, Gordon Molek, PawBroon, and Shane "Feldgrau" Petterson. This is a group of modders who work together to test and relase them in a compatible method to be able to switch between variations easily using batch files. However, coming very shortly, the batch file system will eb phased out with a new program written by Gordon Molek that will make it even easier to switch textures.

Hi Danzig and welcome to this board. Well you are in for a treat getting this game. It'll be the only game you keep playing long after you put the others away. Really. As far as mods I'll give you my opinion. If I were you I would play the game without changing any mods until you start getting used to it, not bored but used to it. Then you follow Maximum's suggestions although I personally don't use all the ones he's mentioned but mods are a matter of opinion thing so you will just have to look at them all and make your own choice. He is right however in that the game will be greatly improved appearance wise. That is what is so neat about this game. You never get bored with it. Not only is it the best game there ever was but you keep changing the appearance of it by switching to different mods and it just seems to always keep you interested. Well, have fun and hope to see you around the board. Oh one last thing. I sure hope you aren't married. No don't get the wrong idea, I'm married to a female. I just wanted to know so I can feel sorry for her when the game arrives and she becomes the second most important thing in your life.

:D:D:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Eyes:

I'm sure your mother has warned you to never visit such places. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if you absolutely have to, for god's sake wash your hands afterward! You don't know where it's been! :eek:

:D

Michael

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Great! Thanks for all the worthwhile info. I spent the better part of my morning at work reading through the various faqs and webpages. Much appreciated, folks! Keep 'em coming I still have 4 more hours of worktime to get through. ;)

Welcome Verboten as well!!

Danzig, yes there is a ton of information not contained within the manual concerning the game. Just check out some of the sites with tutorial articles hosted and look through the "tips and techniques" forum on this site. You seem to NEVER quit learning with this game. Depth, my man, depth.