Talk about UberSoldier!

Audie Murphy was the most decorated soldier in US history. he is credited with having killed 240 enemy soldiers, a nearly imposible feat for and infantryman, and that doesn't include the many he captured or wounded. Murphy's citation reads as follows:

On january 26, 1945, near Holtzwihr, France, six tanks and waves of infantry attaced 2nd Lt. Murphy's unit. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw while he remained forward to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, Murphy climbed on a burning tank destroyer (in danger of blowing up at any moment) and used its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. Alone and exposed to German fire from three sides :eek: , he courageously fought on, slaying dozens of germans. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate Murphy, but he held his position and wiped out a squad that was trying to creep up on his flank. Germans came as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. Murphy ignored a leg wound and fought until his ammo ran out. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50.

For information on other decorated US soldiers go to http://www.cmohs.org Cool stuff there :cool:

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: deadeye3 ]

Hey mikeadams, we already have one, if you're old enough to remember him:

Sgt. Saunders from the good old "Combat" TV series. It would be great if someone could do a mod using the "Combat" faces for the American soldiers in CMBO. Personally, I liked Little John.

And how about using "Combat" voices for a mod? I can just hear Sgt. Saunders on the walkie-talkie going "Checkmate King 2, this is White Rook. Over."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

BTS: When you run out of things to do...how about a Hollywood hero unit just for fun. You know, never panics, can run the length of the map without tiring, infinite ammunition, grenades thhat blow up entire houses etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhhh... this reminds me of the "super-soldier" optional rules in that old, old SPI designed wargame SNIPER!

Those were the days. (left lamenting that I've now more than likely revealed my age by mentioned that classic old simultaneous move game where moves were handwritten each turn) :(

BTW, I'm all for some sort of optional supersoldier button, but only against the AI of course (or perhaps the AI against you?)

Regards

Jim R.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

But what about this one Finnish ubertruppen and what he did that one time at band camp with a flute..... :D:D:D

Crapgame<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you brought this up, Simo Häyhä sniped 500-600 kills, and that is only sniping. He fought also with SMG and other weapons, those kills are not in statistics. What makes this remarkable, all of this was done during the 3 months of Winter war. His career was over when he was shot in the head 6.3.1940 at close range. By some miracle he survived and was still alive at least a couple years ago.

I like that Hollywood Rambo unit idea. 500p, one to each nationality, Finnish one should of course be called sergeant Rokka! (I believe all Finns agree, others don't have a clue...)