Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New PBM option... Time Limit.

I know there won't be any more changes to CMBO, but if BTS has any room left for PBEM changes to CMBB, I would love to see a time limit restriction on PBEM games just like in IP games.

You could always turn it off, but it would really make the games harder... especially for those people that must look back at their own troops from EVERY SPOT of enemy ground.

Who knows, it could even speed up PBEM turns. Anyone agree with me... dissagree?

Scott Karch

Well, this is already acheived by playing TCP/IP. The advantage of PBEM is that if you get busy or real life gets in the way, you don't have to send a turn for a day or longer if you don't really want to. When I was on "vacation" for a month this summer, I interrupted a PBEM game for four weeks, and picked up where we left off on my return.

I don't see that many people would benefit from a "time limit" on PBEM, even if you could implement it. You can still do it by honour system, but really, why would you want to prevent another player from analyzing his turns? Is it truly a victory if you are relying on your opponent to make stupid mistakes based on carelessness due to a lack of time?

In reality, every unit would be very situationally aware - or at least know what it could see and not see - so taking the time to check individual LOS is not as unrealistic as it may first seem.

Yes, I agree with you, although I see some problems. How would you implement it? Would you have it so that after the specified time it dumps you out of the scenario? Couldn't someone download it again from the e-mail and replay it again from different views?

Regards,

Ryan

P.S. Nice Sig ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Is it truly a victory if you are relying on your opponent to make stupid mistakes based on carelessness due to a lack of time?

In reality, every unit would be very situationally aware - or at least know what it could see and not see - so taking the time to check individual LOS is not as unrealistic as it may first seem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your other points are very good... but I'd have to say, YES, it's still a victory if it's because your enemy made mistakes because of time constraints.. just like in IP games and, I think, real life. Battlefield or business. As for the LOS issue, I understand about checking LOS from your units... it's the checking of LOS TO your units that takes lots of time and gives much more info that it would stop.

I realize, unless you implemented a way that when the timer ran out, the turn was automatically emailed... done or not. But it would be so easy to work around, there wouldn't be much point in it.

A gentlemen's agreement would probably work well... this would keep the gentlemen from fudging the extra 30 seconds they needed to tweak some moves.

Have a great night all... goin to bed.

Scott Karch

Time restraints on a PBEM game? Com'on? Whatcha smokin'? Whatever it is, pass it around to the rest of us.

The whole idea of a PBEM game is that the 2 opponents can play the game at their own leisurely pace.

If you want time restraints, then PBEM is the wrong format for you. You best check out TCP/IP games.

Whatever your motive is with this idea it smells very "gamey" to me. ;)

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bad Dog:

Good concept, but don't think it'll work. Time limit on PBEM can easily be overcome by some cheap tricks - load the game 10 times, then you have more time to watch the movie? :cool:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hit the nail right on the head!

What's to stop a gamey, cheating, SOB opponent (eg me) from opening the PBEM file, running it and taking some notes, closing it, then opening it again, taking some more notes, and so on?

Makes a time limit for PBEM games a bit pointless.

Mace