Axis motorised infantry.

The motorized infantry are Panzergrenadiere. Not all of these units were "armoured", e.g. equipped with halftracks. Think of them as equipped with trucks, and these are "parked" some distance from the front.

A Panzergrenadiere squad has 10 men with 5 rifles, 2 MP44, 1 SMG and 2 LMGs.

That's more firepower than the standard rifle platoon which has 9 men with 6 rifles, 2 SMGs and 1 LMG.

So they're not so expensive IMHO. smile.gif

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Besides, in CMBO's timeframe of the war Germany is in pretty bad shape. Though horses were used quite a bit in their glory days of the Blitzkrieg, footpower and horses were used alot more since then.

I prefer Panzergrenadiers over regular riflemen since they have more automatic stuff like MP-44 and other goodies.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

If you want transports for your motorised troops, get trucks. Unfortunately the trucks have too little transport capability, should be able to take at least two squads instead of just one...

What I miss more than trucks for German infantry, is the specific US armoured infantry; with halftracks, extra ammo, extra bazookas, extra (irregular) automatic weapons.

Cheers

Olle

When you want them motorized, buy 4 trucks per platoon. 2-man teams can be added to trucks with a full squad in them, free, so that will handle LMGs, Screcks, flamethrowers, and FOs. Put up to 1 HMG per platoon in the truck with the HQ. If you are working with tanks, one platoon can ride on them, in the same fashion as above.

If you want to depict a mobile column, that is the realistic way to do it. Trucks cost a fair amount in CM, though, without being too useful in combat. So if you are designing a scenario, it is a good idea to ignore the cost of the trucks when thinking about force sizes and play balance.

If you don't need to cross long distances on roads, then just take enough trucks to carry your HMGs and 81mm mortars and such. You can put two in the same truck. The leg infantry is fast enough on the small time-and-distance scale of most CM fights, but added transport definitely helps with these slower items. You generally do not want more trucks than this in QBs, since the points can buy more combat power in other ways. Conceptually, the faster leg guys have "de-bused" before entering the map.

Naturally, 20mm FLAK or 75mm infantry guns can also be carried (a 20mm FLAK will even fit with an HQ in the same truck).

So, e.g., say you are representing a motorized Pz Gdr company supported by a platoon of Pz IVs. Then you might take (1300 points as regulars) -

Motorized Pz Gdr company

4 Pz IV H

1 105mm FO

1 Screck

1 SPW 250/9 75mm halftrack

3 trucks.

(or change the arty to 120mm mortars, change the HT to an armored car, or skip it to add extra screcks, trade the HT for 2x vet tank crews, whatever).

And load the units as follows -

Pz IV w/ 1st platoon HQ, HMG

Pz IV w/ 1/1 squad, FO

Pz IV w/ 2/1 squad, schreck

Pz IV w/ 3/1 squad

Truck w/ weapons platoon HQ, HMG

Truck w/ HMG, 81mm mortar

Truck w/ HMG, 81mm mortar

The other two platoons on foot, along with the company HQ. That is 1300 points. If you bought 8 more trucks you could motorize the whole force, but that is 200 more points for vehicles without guns, which is excessive in a QB. It would be fine in a scenario, though.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by jasoncawley@ameritech.net:

When you want them motorized, buy 4 trucks per platoon. 2-man teams can be added to trucks with a full squad in them, free, so that will handle LMGs, Screcks, flamethrowers, and FOs.

Thanx, but 3 treucks and a Kübelwagen are cheaper. I do in fact do this.

I have a PBEM where I just piled a platoon of regular FJ in trucks and packed 'em off to the action (using cover of course), much to the suprise of my opponents. All of a sudden what he thought was 2 platoons max, turns out to be 3.