SharpShooters/Snipers in CM2.

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not,(I can't get the search to work) but I was wondering if they will have more ammo in CM2. 10 shots, IMO just aren't enough. I should probably know this but is ammo for shaprshooters counted the same way as ammo for squads?

Shaprshooters are not snipers. They are really only good for taking out tank commanders. Usually I have found they miss but spook the commander into the tank and button up.

A true sniper unit would be worthless on the battlefield. Most snipers would have taken 1 shot killed somebody and moved on. They would not be unloading thier arsenal into an uncomming company with tank support.

Gen

The 10 'shots' is game abstraction. They can fire ten times, but that doesn't mean they fire ten rounds. It's like the other infantry ammo - you have 40 ammos for your squad, bud of cause that doesn't mean you have only 40 rounds per squad, or that every single soldier in the squad has 40 rounds.

Sharpshooter ammo is definitely an abstraction. I have seen one shot kill 3 men, It was in ideal conditions (routed green crew on a road) but it definitely is possible.

What CM does not really simulate is the psychological effects of a sharpshooter. If the guy next to you's head explodes suddenly, you will hit the ground and probably drop one in your pants. Which is a bit different from CM's current model, where pot shots by sharpshooters have little effect on morale or squad behavior.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Sharpshooter ammo is definitely an abstraction. I have seen one shot kill 3 men, It was in ideal conditions (routed green crew on a road) but it definitely is possible.

What CM does not really simulate is the psychological effects of a sharpshooter. If the guy next to you's head explodes suddenly, you will hit the ground and probably drop one in your pants. Which is a bit different from CM's current model, where pot shots by sharpshooters have little effect on morale or squad behavior.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it's because there is much more abstraction in the game then we 'see'.

A squad isn't a group of men, close together, so that everyone can see everyone else.

Also keep in mind - the greatest problem here is the general situation when the sniper hits. If the battlefield is calm, and the big fighting hasn't started yet, then you maybe see suddenly someone die next to you and think 'Hey, I better keep my head down'. But if the battle has already started, you hear dozens or hundreds of weapons and explosions, and men die all around - I guess that's very difficult to model.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen-x87H:

Shaprshooters are not snipers. They are really only good for taking out tank commanders. Usually I have found they miss but spook the commander into the tank and button up.

A true sniper unit would be worthless on the battlefield. Most snipers would have taken 1 shot killed somebody and moved on. They would not be unloading thier arsenal into an uncomming company with tank support.

Gen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know they're not snipers, just used the word "sniper" because that's what some people refer to them as. :D

The 10 'shots' is game abstraction. They can fire ten times, but that doesn't mean they fire ten rounds. It's like the other infantry ammo - you have 40 ammos for your squad, bud of cause that doesn't mean you have only 40 rounds per squad, or that every single soldier in the squad has 40 rounds.

Abstraction or no, I can't see a Sharpshooter running out of ammo in a 30 minute battle. This has been done to death, and yes we can edit it in the scenario editor, but not in a QB. A very minor quibble, hopefully not enough to jeopardize my sycophant status.

On the East Front "sharpshooters" were a big problem for the Germans (and presumably the Russians). They lost a lot of TCs to sniper fire.

It is, btw, highly unnecessary to dwell on the difference between snipers and sharpshooters in the context of CM (again). Only sharpshooters are modeled, and the term is used generically on this board, as it was by combat troops of all nations on the actual battlefield. In CM, "sniper" = Sharpshooter, period.

I do not think that they have to much ammo, just that they fire what they have to fast. Sharpshooters would fire from hiding and displace. Not from deep cover, firing 1 shot in an hour, such as Eastern front snipers, but as part of a platoon team assigned to take out high value or troublesome targets. This is true of all nations in the conflict. Thus maybe they should be cheaper, and fire less often.

By the way Mark IV, there is a meeting of the sycophants club tonight, and we are voting on the issue of your failure to uphold your duties as a charter sycophant and toadie.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

I do not think that they have to much ammo, just that they fire what they have to fast. Sharpshooters would fire from hiding and displace. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i can throw in my 2 bits, i would agree with that. your one man, and sure you may have a good load out of ammo, but one man alone is generally not inclined to sit in one place and pluck away at the enemy forever and await his death. i feel that the 10 "shots" adds a realistic touch to the sharpshooters mentality of "take a few shots today and live for tommarow" instead of "shoot as many rounds as i can and never see tommarow"