Gun Damage--What Are The Different Outcomes?

What kind of results have you guys experienced when your tank gun is damaged? In other words, what are the different outcomes you've seen that result from this?

In two of my games, I've had tanks sustain gun damage. On one of them, I noticed that on the next turn, I didn't have an option to use smoke although it said I could still shoot the main gun. On the other tank, I lost the option to smoke or to use the main gun.

What was weird about the 2nd one, was that the gun was damaged by area fire from what appears to be a high-caliber gun. My tank is a JagPanzerIV who had already lost its commander the turn before due to what was apparently a direct hit from the side by a round lobbed over a hill by the same gun.

The next turn, another round somehow made its way over the hill. This time, the round hit about 5-10 meters behind my JagPanzerIV and the screen said, "Gun Damaged." How could this happen? How can the ricochet of the round or shrapnel or whatever make it's way up to the gun when the shot was fired going away from the gun and hitting an area at the rear of the tank?

Going back to the first tank, how is it possible that he has lost the ability to smoke but can still shoot? Aren't these rounds fired out of the same main gun?

[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

Ah! I may have an answer.

'Gun damaged' need not refer only to the external gun tube. Perhaps (and I'm making it up as I go here) the concussion of the nearby shell rattled the gunner's sight mounting loose, or cracked a seal on the hydraulic recoil cylinder? I've read how for the heavy Ferdinand, simply travelling cross-country without the gun locked-down would shake the gunner's sight totally out of allignment.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

Ah! I may have an answer.

'Gun damaged' need not refer only to the external gun tube. Perhaps (and I'm making it up as I go here) the concussion of the nearby shell rattled the gunner's sight mounting loose, or cracked a seal on the hydraulic recoil cylinder? I've read how for the heavy Ferdinand, simply travelling cross-country without the gun locked-down would shake the gunner's sight totally out of allignment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i love "abstraction". :D