Bogging

Just played a couple of snowed in, tank heavy scenarios and noticed a surprising phenemonon: absolutely no bogging in either one! One of the battles featured K. Tigers, Jumbos, and Pershings.

Is this one of the, ahem..., adjustments, smuggled, like Lenin, into the game engine via recent patches?

Yes, I just did a quick test (very quick).

1 M4

1 Jumbo

1 76 Jumbo

1 Pershing

1 super Pershing

QB snow map. I had them move across first at MOVE and then at HUNT and then at FAST.

Map was medium in size.

MOVE- Jumbo 76 became Bogged in OPEN terrain, but freed itself

HUNT- Jumbo 76 + Super Pershing both bogged in OPEN terrain but became free again quickly.

FAST- Jumbo became immobile in OPEN.

Not alot of bogging, to be sure, but at least there is some there.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 02-21-2001).]

Now, this was interesting. The bogging is still there for sure, at least with the German vehicles, might be less pronounced though.

In any case, two interesting observations:

1. Among German "armour" the Marder III is unmatched as the fastest vehicle on snow.

2. If you fight on snow, always pick a StuG IV before a StuG III. The difference in speed is enormous.

The deciding factor is of course ground pressure, which is why the HVSS Shermans leave their fellow M4's in the "dust" when driving over snow.

I just never realised to what an extent ground pressure takes over from speed when it comes to mobility over snow in CM.

Just as in real life, another point to CM.

M.

Okay, one more...

Wet terrain. Medium map.

1 M4

2 Jumbo

2 Jumbo 76

Pershing

Super Pershing

FAST across map- M4 Immobilized IMMEDIATELY.

Jumbo 76 bogged and freed twice. Jumbo bogged and freed once.

HUNT across same map (M4 no longer in test)-

Jumbo 76 Immobilized.

Super Pershing bogged then freed itself.

Once again, not a huge amount of bogging, but its there.

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 02-21-2001).]

I was playing an operation last night with lots of British armor in wet terrain. Tanks were bogging pretty frequently and one even bogged on a dirt road. The AI was controlling them, so I don't know how fast they were going. So the bogging is still there, but maybe the problem is when there is snow.

Guest Mirage2k

Yeah, I'm still seeing bogging. I haven't done in-depth tests or anything, but in my last game a Sherman 75 bogged in damp terrain.

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"