Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Map feature request for CM2 : shell-impacted terrain density generation

For QBs and of course scenario editor, be able to "sprinkle" the battlefield map with artillery impact craters as a map option, such as tree density for example.

pre-barrage impact craters:

none

low

medium

high

and be able to begin the battle with a pre-shell scarred landscape.

Also include rubble terrain tiles added to the building tiles that are placed when the map is generated.

Tiger

Yeah, and make trees subject to destruction by shellfire, sorta like rubbling buildings. And have all the intermediate stages of partial destruction of trees and buildings able to be placed on the map at the beginning of a scenario instead of them always starting the battle in cherry condition smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Originally posted by Bullethead:

Yeah, and make trees subject to destruction by shellfire, sorta like rubbling buildings. And have all the intermediate stages of partial destruction of trees and buildings able to be placed on the map at the beginning of a scenario instead of them always starting the battle in cherry condition smile.gif

Don't make fun; shellholes are a good idea.

You do realize trees are modelled the same as men yes? For every tree visible, there are many more that are simulated abstractly? The tree icons are not "what you see is what you get".

That was another thing Muzzle Velocity had - you could run over trees with tanks - with resounding CRACKS as they fell down. It was pretty fake and silly, cause you could deforest an entire acre without as much as losing a track!

Tiger,

I agree. Either that or give us several normal/smaller terrain tiles with different crater sizes (including bomb craters) so we can at least put them into scenarios we design. A single crater capability for road

demolition strikes me as a good idea, too.

If you do some digging, I believe you'll find

my wish list thread for terrain improvements. Details are hazy, but I distinctly recall being shocked that there was no crater tool, a discovery I made while trying to build a bombed railroad switching yard. I wound up using rubbled buildings instead and was not happy.

Anyone care to resurrect the thread? It's out there.

Regards,

John Kettler

PS

Found a thread that's related. It's

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/005642.html

Will continue digging.

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 02-16-2001).]

Guest Rommel22

I agree!!!

I think arty craters are a must in a scenerio!!! Plus a trench tile, I know this isn't WWI but the Russians and Germans dug trenches I can come up with pictures of this. I know the grogs can support me on this.

Oh and the rubble would be great, for example:

A building gets shelled and debry falls next to the building, hindering movement. A vehicle and troops should be able to pass but at a slower rate!

Anyway pre-battle craters are a great idea plus trenches.

------------------

Rommel22's War Diarys site.

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone