A question about German camo patterns

Hello, my name is Mike, and I am a modslut.

:D

I really dig the look of the mono-color yellow/sand camo patterns that Fernando has graced us with (specifically the SdKfz 250/251, MkIV & Panthers). However, I'm curious about the use of these color schemes; were they used by the Germans in NW Europe 1944-45? Or, was this yellow/sand color the "factory basic" finish over which other camo patterns were applied over in the field?

I also dig John S's Tiger I mod in grey or yellow with foliage (I downloaded this one from "Der Kessel"). Again, were these mono-color schemes used in NW Europe in 44-45, or were most Tigers painted w/camo patterns by this time?

I have a pretty good grip on WWII history, but my knowledge of the finer details of AFV markings & camo useage is pretty skimpy. Any information on this subject would be appreciated. Book reccomendations are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mike A.

Steven Zaloga, Bruce Culver, Terence Wise, and others have written books on the subject. German Tanks of World War II in Color by Michael Green et al. is useful, though many pictures are of restored vehicles that may or may not have been repainted with an eye to historical accuracy.

The German vehicles depicted in CM would have been painted "Sand" at the point of manufacture. Vehicle crews were supplied with containers of Brown and Green paint in a paste form which was to be mixed and applied in the field.

What the un-diluted paint was mixed with had a lot to do with the way the color came out. As I understand it, everything from water to gasoline was used as a reducer. This leads me to believe it was probably some sort of an "emulsion" paint.

Application was also a haphazard affair. I have seen at least one photo of a King Tiger being painted with a spraygun. If none was available, rags, brushes, or even brooms might be used.

The same vehicle might look completely different from one unit to the next depending on the resources at hand.