Bren Gun in the Commonwealth Armies

After reading up on the BAR thread I thought I would ask what people thought of the Bren Gun as an LMG? From what I've gleaned it also was highly regarded by the troops that used them, especially it's accuracy and reliability. However I also remember someone commenting it was almost too accurate for an automatic weapon, especially when the fighting got close and you wanted to spray an area at advancing enemy troops.

Anmyone with first hand experience with the Bren care to pass comment?

Regards

Jim R.

I fired one in the 70s in the army cadets! Thirty round mag, but we only ever put about 20 rounds in to save the magazine spring, we were taught to fire 3 round bursts, so as not to overheat the barrel (so they weren't for spraying) and they had a tendency to 'walk' forward on the bipod.

I'm left-handed, but because of the magazine on top of the weapon, the sights (rear sight like a big dial) are offset and I had to fire it right-handed. Never felt comfortable with it because of that, but lots of fun to fire. We learnt to strip them and change barrels too.

I was quarter-master sergeant and had two of them in their boxes in my Q-store and in 1975 they were dumped at sea (tragedy).

I can still smell the oil and the cordite...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Smith:

I fired one in the 70s in the army cadets! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That brings back memories. I fired one in the Army Cadets during the eighties. It was still the standard "cadet" section support weapon even then. As I recall, it had very little kick at all and had a tendency to pull forward. Nice tight groupings. Shame they wouldn't let us spray suppressing fire on the range, for CM testing purposes. ;)

IIRC I've read that some British units stilled used it in the eighties as a non standard vehicle support weapon. Even though the magazine only contained 30 rounds, experienced Bren teams could effect a change over in 2 or 3 seconds.

Peter

The Bren Gun was very much loved by Brit and Canadian (and no doubt Aussie/Kiwi) infantrymen. It tended to pull away from you when firing from the prone, but it was regarded as versatile and accurate, with real stopping power - an article by Chappell and Hogg in Military Illustrated tells us that while it used the same Mark VII ball ammo as the Lee Enfield, it gave the appearance of having more power when fired on the range, knocking huge chunks out of targets. While a comparison to the MG42 (a false one to begin with) will leave it in second place, it was very adequate for the job. Barrels were changed quickly, and the Number two could ram a mag home almost instantly - unlike the BAR with its bottom feed.

EDIT - not that I have first hand experience - but Chappell and Hogg did, and they raved about it in their article, as well as quoted other Bren Gunners - including the Brit in Malaya who, when told that his Bren gun was being sent back to an ordnance depot for rebluing (he carried it so much one side of the gun was silver from rubbing against him), angrily replied that the Army could have it back when he was done with it - and not a second before.

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I used one briefly in hte NZ army as a rifleman, but don't have any strong memories of it othe than it was easy to strip and reassemble - they managed to teach us how to do that blindfolded in about an hour - but we only used it on the range for a couple of days. I've no idea why!!

I think the bren was re-introduced into the Australian army briefly in the 80s re barrelled to standard 7.62mm of the day maybe wrong. Maybe some Aussie grunts maybe able to help. Now pushing hard on the thinking cap, it may have been the support weapon for corps troops (truckie, sup, Raeme etc . Any ideas Aussie dudes?

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: goodwood ]