Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Book Recommendations

I just finished reading "If you Survive" by George Wilson. It is really interesting and is a good yardstick to judge the "realism" of CM.

After reading the book I think the key thing to keep in mind is that most troops in any battle should probably be green. This is because the turnover in the frontline infantry company was huge. Leiutanent Wilson was the only person in his starting company to still be there after four months in combat.

Some other books I would recommend are:

Panzer Commander-Han van Lucke

Closing With the Enemy : How Gis Fought the War in Europe, 1944-1945 by Michael Doubler

The Forgotten Soldier-Guy Sajar (This book is so well written it reads more like a novel than a memoir. The detail is almost too striking. It makes me suspicous as to its authenticity. )

The Boys in company K-Harold Leinbaugh

Citizen Soldier-Stephan Ambrose (I know some on this board find Ambrose a little too "rah, rah", but the book is well written and is a good compilation of memoirs.

M.Dorosh, let's not be too hasty, shall we? After reading the arguments from both those historians, I am still convinced it is true (also having read it, of course.)

The book is obviously true, and it is the most telling account of combat I have read.

But, as for my reccommendation, I am currently reading "The Rommel papers" edited by B.H.Liddel Hart. It is amazing!

Rommel wrote an extensive diary of his exploits in WWII, going so far as drawing battle maps, and he is very eloquent and detailed. I would reccomend this monster (500 pp+) to anyone interested in the war.

I am still on chapter 1, where he gives a daily account of his lightening thrust accross Belgium. At one point, he takes over personal command of an Infantry Batallion in order to force a river crossing over the Meuse. He was a man...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

M.Dorosh, let's not be too hasty, shall we? After reading the arguments from both those historians, I am still convinced it is true (also having read it, of course.)

The book is obviously true, and it is the most telling account of combat I have read.

But, as for my reccommendation, I am currently reading "The Rommel papers" edited by B.H.Liddel Hart. It is amazing!

Rommel wrote an extensive diary of his exploits in WWII, going so far as drawing battle maps, and he is very eloquent and detailed. I would reccomend this monster (500 pp+) to anyone interested in the war.

I am still on chapter 1, where he gives a daily account of his lightening thrust accross Belgium. At one point, he takes over personal command of an Infantry Batallion in order to force a river crossing over the Meuse. He was a man...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm taking this to the General Forum. See my comments there!

If you're a tech geek instead of an armchair general I'd suggest any of R.P. Hunnicutt's 8-9 monumental hardcover reference books on U.S. armor. Pershing; Sherman; Stuart; Firepower, etc., and his latest 'Half-Track'. All with 1:48 scale scale plans (I'm working on some halftrack mods base on the scale plans in that book as we speak!)

...truth in advertising: I sorta have a small stake in Half-Track's success.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

But, as for my reccommendation, I am currently reading "The Rommel papers" edited by B.H.Liddel Hart. It is amazing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah memories! I first read The Rommel Papers forty-five years ago at the tender age of twelve. It was my first big, serious war book. It took me over a month to read it as I recall. I was hooked from that point onward.

You should be aware that it was written from Rommel's point of view, and he is not always fair to those with whom he had differences. Indeed, much of what got reported was edited to enhance Rommel's reputation, something that naïve readers have often tended to swallow hook, line, and sinker. Might be a good idea to read what Halder has to say about Rommel, for instance.

Michael