Question re SS men

Having flicked thru a Himmler book very quickly, I noticed that SS men had to prove German ancestry back to the 1600s (Hundred Day War or something like that).

Apparently, Himmler once wrote to a Waffen SS soldier, sending his regrets that this soldier had found some Jewish ancestry. Obviously this soldier had to return to Germany and leave the SS.

What puzzled me was that a man like Himmler was just "sympathetic" to this man with Jewish blood. Presumably this man could continue in some other line of work in Germany during the war.

Can anyone explain how the warped Nazi view of Jews and Slavs almost "tolerated" this kind of thing. Obviously Nazism is a pretty dodgy doctrine anyway smile.gif but this had me thinking.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

Can anyone explain how the warped Nazi view of Jews and Slavs almost "tolerated" this kind of thing. Obviously Nazism is a pretty dodgy doctrine anyway smile.gif but this had me thinking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should read Hitler's Willing Executioners, by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen. It will answer all of your questions about the Nazis and their racial theories. It may make you ill and give you bad dreams too...

[ 04-23-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]