Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Just curious about CM players.

Just curious about the amount of time people put into CM. I have been playing CM for quite some time but haven't logged in enough hours, IMO not the significant other's, and I need more battle experience to improve my game. I would like to compare my time devoted to CM to what other players put into it that way I can gauge how much of my other life I have to sacrifice in order to improve. Unfortunately eating and sleeping are presently the only time that is under my control.

Your time devoted to CM could be broken down into the following:

1. battles (with opponents not significant others)

2. perusing the forum (for opponents, fact finding missions, research on tactics etc..)

3. scenario or mod designs

4. any other related activities that you can think of.

make a rough estimate of the number of hours/week that is put into each one, this is a normal week devoted to CM not averaged out over a long time that would include vacations and down time. It would be helpful to me to know where I stand. I also understand the responses will be skewed toward those that devote more time to the game than the average player but it gives me somthing to shoot for.

My time:

1. 10-20hrs

2. 5-6hrs

3. 0hrs

4. 0hrs

it's pitifully low :(

Now this is a difficult question to answer. I usually look in the morning and in the afternoon for new turn (and reply), and once again later in the evening (or I keep the mail running, and react to the incoming post). I usually have 4 to 6 games going at once, but not all require a turn a day, and some turns require a lot of time, and some require just the hitting of the 'GO' button. So in all I play maybe an hour, an hour and a half each day.

One way to learn FAST is to visit the chat at Tournament House, and get a TCP/IP game going. Takes an evening (3-4 hours for a medium sized game). The fact that I seldom have time for this is another indicator of the amount of time I spend on CM.

I visit this board occasionally, but after some time you have read the most issues before...

Bertram

Actually the time I spend on CM is comparable with only two differences. About half the time you spend on actual battles, I spend on scenario design and running a CM campaign, your #3 rather than #1. And then on top of all that, I spend about the same amount of time as 1-3 combined on research and writing related to WW II stuff, especially for this forum.

Not reading stuff here, #3 - there I spend about as much time as you do. The research and writing (a #4 I guess) is something I enjoy and would do regardless of whether CM existed, though I'd probably focus on other topics more. I do some of the same on other topics anyway, and sometimes the focus of my "for fun" research and writing is on something besides WW II / CM for this or that month, or two. I consider the #4 stuff more "hanging out" with other CM players - the history minded "grogs" in particular - than time spent playing CM.

A fine question BTW.