Mortar Pricing

Why does a Canadian 4.2" mortar cost half as much as its American counterpart, they have identical loadouts.

------------------

'A mans greatest pleasure is to crush his enemies, sweep them before him, to take from them that which they possess, to see their women and children in tears'

IIRC the Canadian 4.2 Mortar batteries had half the number of lauchers thus a slower ROF and over all effectiveness.

Apparently BTS thinks this means they should cost half as much as the American ones.

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Have you heard the accents of those Canadian mortar crews? Talk about annoying! BTS had to reduce their price in a desperate attempt to get someone to buy them.

Jeff Heidman

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 01-10-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So let me get this straight?

you have something against BOTH Macs and Canadians? (I guess that leaves me out in the COLD)

Is that correct Jeff smile.gif ?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-10-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

So let me get this straight?

you have something against BOTH Macs and Canadians? (I guess that leave me out in the COLD)

Is that correct Jeff smile.gif ?

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who me??? <turn on look of innocence>

I have nothing against Macs OR Canadians.

tongue.gif

I did actually watch that Steve Jobs MacExpo video thingie though.

Jeff Heidman

Ahh, many thanks Mr.Sahdorf. I've found the British/Canadian 4.2" mortar a very handy weapon if the rate of fire of the American counterpart is that much higher than i can fully understand the price hike.

Yours,

------------------

'A mans greatest pleasure is to crush his enemies, sweep them before him, to take from them that which they possess, to see their women and children in tears'

Nope. You have it wrong. The American and Commonwealth 4.2 inch mortars have the same rate of fire, 6 volleys a minute each. However, the Commonwealth mortar has a lower blast rating, and does quite a bit less damage.

It's my understanding, from something someone posted here a while back, that the US acquired the 4.2 inch chemical mortar from the British sometime between the Wars (or perhaps during the First), and reengineered it to have greater range, more accuracy, and a larger gas/ HE payload. My memory on that count is a bit sketchy though.

-John Hough

------------------

sometimes i'd like to kick your f-ing head

but i guess you're just a human too

-EMBRACE, "SAID GUN"

More good info, thanks John. Rate of fire identical, destructive power increased, interesting. I'll really have to try them, i've had great success with their cheaper counterparts.

------------------

John's right, the US 4.2" mortar has roughly 1.5 times the blast, IIRC, than the Brit/Can 4.2". The US FO also calls in fire much quicker though I'm unsure if that's factored into the price or not.

I believe the Stuart M5A1 and Stuart V are two different models, the M5A1 having slightly better armour and a better ROF though I can't check the specifics at the moment.