To Mod or not to Mod

For a long time now , I have been debating the idea of adding all sorts of Mods to CM , to update the terrain , armour , skies etc.

I was also reading with interest the CMMOS thread,

I have been to all sorts of websites to look at mods and have been overwhelmed with the quality and all that is out there .

I need help smile.gif

I could spend my life downloading various mods , but has anyone actually grouped all these together in an 'uber' mod pack .

I know Madmatt has done some Mod packs but urmmm these are a bit old now ? (no offence meant by this).

Or does anyone have a 'must have' list of mods that they could not do without .

Ta

Tincan

My mod pack ie my bmp directory is 182mb in size, I expect most other players are in the same boat. There is no shortcut to being a modslut, you really have to do a bit of researching on whats available via screen shots and download them piecemeal. Most websites have bandwidth problems with a 2mb file let alone a 180mb file. :eek:

Must haves - would be to have a grass mod and building mod.

Then next time you play a game and have choosen your units, go looking for that units mod.

This way you can build up your collection as you need them without resorting to spending hours downloading and searching.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Pud ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tincan:

For a long time now , I have been debating the idea of adding all sorts of Mods to CM , to update the terrain , armour , skies etc.

I was also reading with interest the CMMOS thread,

I have been to all sorts of websites to look at mods and have been overwhelmed with the quality and all that is out there .

I need help smile.gif

I could spend my life downloading various mods , but has anyone actually grouped all these together in an 'uber' mod pack .

I know Madmatt has done some Mod packs but urmmm these are a bit old now ? (no offence meant by this).

Or does anyone have a 'must have' list of mods that they could not do without .

Ta

Tincan<hr></blockquote>

take a look at what i got on my hard drive at http://www.russellmz.20m.com

pics of what i use for my allied, axis, and man made terrain. hope you got a fast connection tongue.gif

I *do* have a ModPack of sort : it's a pair of R/W CDs that I fill regularly with new mods : one is for terrain and misc stuff, the other for units, and I made folders by themes such as "Grass" or "Allied Inf" smile.gif

Each CD is approx 450 Mb filled ... :eek:

However I can only duplicate and send them via snail mail, can't upload that amount of Mb !! :D

Here is my 2 cents: since joining the CM community well over a 1 1/2 year now (under a different name). I have compiled 3 800 Meg R/W cd's, 2 for regular CM and 1 for Desert Fox stuff, not to mention at least close to 200 meg of mods I have done myself for CM as well as Desert Fox. Plus around another 100 meg on my HD. I believe I have just about every mod that is available for DL. So basically I have close to around 2 Gig worth of mods.

Next I burned 3 more Cd's with nothing but BMP folders, with different setups (2 for regular CM and 1 for Desert Fox). I do not use CMMOS I find these programs sometimes just a pain in the A$$. I know a lot of people out their sure like them, but my CD's do just fine for me.

I really enjoy switching mods from time to time. In fact the only mods I have stuck with for any length of time are the newer ambush style mods for the Axis, oh and I can't forget Marco Bergmans Shermans Pack. I am always on a quest for more mods as well as making my own , if I think I need something different.

So in other words I believe you should get every mod out their and give it try. Or if your just looking for quick fix of mods. Get anything in the ambush style as well as Marco's Sherman Mega Pack, terrain either the Normandy pack, or DF Hi-res grass, Trees, see here I go again, you better just decide for yourself.

Theirs my 2 cents

Shatter

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shatter:

So in other words I believe you should get every mod out their and give it try.

Theirs my 2 cents

Shatter<hr></blockquote>

Well said 2 cents too, Shatter.

If you're considering mods, first decide WHY you're modding.

Some folks seem to be into it for the 'virtual modeling': super-hi-res with all the bells & whistles. Virtual modelling can be a hoot, especially considering a single Tamiya kit can cost as much as a CM game CD! But gameplay may suffer carying the mod load if you go overboard.

Another reason to mod would be to just reduce the 'cringe' factor in some of the vehicles. Sorry, but the default Hetzer, Greyhound, and Nashorn really do need help. There are some great lo-res replacement mods out there. Not so showy as the virtual modeling stuff but they improve gameplay bacause the vehicles are less distractingly bad!