Gamey tactic or not?

I just purchased this game so I'm still a little new so bear with me.

Here's the setup. 700 point battle. Combined arms. Had computer pick equipment (prolly one of my favorite features). I ended up with 4 vehicles. 3 halftracks with machine guns. One Nashorn 88 gun. Opponent had a couple of halftracks (50 cals) and a stuart.

From the start, I moved my halftacks up into a postion that looked like it had good fields of fire to me. I moved my infantry up in a support type fashion. Then I moved the Nashorn up and made sure my artillery spotter was behind a wall. Seems pretty logical to me.

Anyway, all of a sudden a halftrack goes screaming by at flanking speed and catches my Nashorn in the side and takes it out. Then it loops around the back of the map and zaps my spotter and then starts hosing my troops from the rear. If I would have not moved from the initial setup, this would not have happened.

Is this what everyone talks about as being a Gamey Tactic? Needless to say I was PO'ed and felt kinda cheated. Should I be upset?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slyss:

Is this what everyone talks about as being a Gamey Tactic? Needless to say I was PO'ed and felt kinda cheated. Should I be upset?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say its gamey. The OOBs on each side were limited and both sides did what they could with what they had. Don't be upset. In the future, keep some asset back to handle those end-arounds and give your opponent the surprise.

Jumbo

Its a pisser when it happens to you, but its the sweetest move of the year when you do it to someone else wink.gif

Is it historical? prolly not... I doubt too many ht' knowing raced into enemy territory unsupported like that. Is it gamey? well its a matter of opinion... I'd say no. These are small, nasty little battles we fight in cm. They require a bit of "jammy" play sometimes, just like I would expect happened on the odd occasion in real life. Its bravardo and cunning, you have to be 1 step ahead.

3 Critical Errors?

"I moved my halftacks up into a postion that looked like it had good fields of fire to me."

Ususally giving your units good fields of fire results in giving the enemy excellent exposure to your units. If you see me, I see you type of thing.

"Then I moved the Nashorn up"

A Nashorn should not be moved up. It is a standoff weapon. This should of been in your rear overwatching and/or guarding your flank(s).

"made sure my artillery spotter was behind a wall"

While a wall provides protection, it does not provide very good concealment. I have never had arty spotters attacked by direct fire. I keep them in woods, pines, and buildings. Mine have never been spotted.

Lessons Learned.

I'm gald we agree it is not a gamey thing to do.

I have done that or something VERY simliar many times.

I would have even tried to send 2 HT's in that situation and I would have put rifle squads and anti tank teams in both of them with an HQ unit. In a game with that many points (only 700) inserting two HT's with .50 cals and two rifle squads and an HQ unit and an anti tank team into the backfield of your opponent near some woods and buildings could be a real death blow if you could also engage the rest of his units frontally at the SAME time.

I'm not sure this tactic may have ever actually been used historically, but in a game that size, going after that Nashorn with an anti tank team mobilized in some fast like an HT WITH a .50 cal on it makes alot sense to me.

For the next time, just do the same to your opponent and expect that EVERY player you play may try to out Flank you or insert a "nuisance" force in your rear.

Is that gamey? (I sure hope not!)

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-12-2001).]