CM and WW2 Webmasters

Didn't quite know where to place this so I decided to place it here.

Having maintained 2 websites for a few years now, both dealing with WW2 in one capacity or another, I have been stymied by the lack of good WW2 clip art to jazz up the sites. I have found a few but they just didn't have what I was looking for.

So...before I commit myself, I'd like to get a feel of those that work on websites and dealing with WW2 and CM in particular, if they have the same problems and would like to see a good source of WW2 clip art.

I'll do it (construct the clip art), but don't want to go to all the work for myself. Hell, I've got to much to do as it is!

Opinions?

This is what I plan to include, if I do the work:

Soldiers, tanks, planes, weapons, posters, insignia, and a section called miscellaneous.

Speaking for myself, I usually prefer content to bells and whistles. I agree that websites need to be illustrated, but small tasteful icons that are relevant and tailor made to the subject at hand seem more appropriate, as well, of course, as relevant photographic images.

Mr. Peng might have more to say on clip art; too easy for them to become the non-conversational equivalent of "smilies". Miniatures of posters, etc., are nice to look at, but if it isn't directly related to the subject matter of the page being viewed, it tends to look like something thrown in merely as eye candy and can actually be more of a distraction while making the site look shlocky.

There are lots of sites that are mind-numbing recitations of facts and figures, and sorely need to be spruced up, but tailor made, relevant images are the way to go.

Here's an example:

Black Watch War Diary

Not one photo, or even better, a map is included. I'm not sure that clip art like soldier icons, etc. would make the page any more interesting, but a photo of the CO, sketch of positions, or sidebar on the general strategic situation would be.

And a good example:

Women Cops

Note the photos are all relevant. No need to brainwash the viewer into thinking he's gotten more info than he really has with irrelevant and generic clip art. This page holds the reader's interest.

Michael:

Thanks for your input. I tend to agree with your points. For my Trailblazer site, it would just spruce up the site, since it is already well illustrated with maps, documents and pictures. Take a look, I think you'd like it.

The clip-art wouldn't be icons per se, but small illustrated graphics. They could be used as links to other sites/pages or just spruce up a page. At least the opportunity would be there.

Also I forgot to mention I would include art from all nations (a lofty goal indeed!).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

Michael:

Thanks for your input. I tend to agree with your points. For my Trailblazer site, it would just spruce up the site, since it is already well illustrated with maps, documents and pictures. Take a look, I think you'd like it.

The clip-art wouldn't be icons per se, but small illustrated graphics. They could be used as links to other sites/pages or just spruce up a page. At least the opportunity would be there.

Also I forgot to mention I would include art from all nations (a lofty goal indeed!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does sound interesting, but I can't guarantee you that anyone else would find them useful (if that is what you are looking for). I prefer to do as much of my own artwork etc. as I can for my own sites, I will bet you are the same way. That is just the opinion of one man; I would imagine there are some other less-addicted web masters who could find a use for your stuff. Maybe you can post some samples here and get a better response.

Mike:

Yeah, I do tend to make graphics specific for my site. But occasionally I need something different.

I intend to post a few once I am done getting a batch complete. We'll see what the response is...in any case good, bad or indifferent, they'll be available for, as you say, "the less addicted" webmasters!