Churchill AVRE

A 40mm Bofors will level any building MUCH faster than an AVRE. So will a vanilla Sherman.

The only place it shines is in bunker busting. 290mm (almost 12 inch) hollow charge will smoke any bunker, as it will any tank if it happens to hit. But try getting it in range...

------------------

The common ordinary SS soldier was just following orders from their superiors...

Maximus

Originally posted by Cleavis:

i was curious, what is the blast, and range of the churchill AVRE, and what kind of ammo does it use? is it good vs. infantry, etc.

The spigot mortar was known as the Petard - a name often used to denote the tank itself. The actual projectile was universally referred to as the Flying Dustbin!

------------------

Perch

Also, since it is only 16mph, the pillbox would probably be dead before churchill even gets there. Even if it does manage to get there in one piece, 89mm or armor is easily pierced by the 75mm pillbox at 1000m. I vote for HE rounds instead of hollow charge. It would probably be more useful if they loaded it with all smoke rounds even.

Catnip what are you on about,try approaching the pillbox out of its firing arc or indeed don't make the assumption that every pillbox has an A/T gun.The Chuchill Petard was designed for a very specific task(mainly destroying beach obstacles) which it performed admirably.To complain about its lack of lethality against armour or infantry just shows a complete ignorance of its function.

The Churchill AVRE (Armored Vehicle Royal Engineers) had a mortar that was external loading. The was a specially designed hatch for the loader, who sat next to the driver, to open, jump up and reload the mortar. That's why it has a slow rate of fire.

You should do a search, there's a good thread on this somewhere.

Didn't the AVRE also serve as transportation for a team of combat engineers?

I recall reading somewhere (culd be ASL Chapter H), that the vehicle carried additional demolition equipment and men. However, this isn't modelled in CM.

Guest MantaRay

Pyle,

Honestly, in CM game turns via PBEM, it has very little use as most games are ME's and there are no Pillboxes in them. Sadly the hollow charge doesnt kill enough infantry in CM, but the concussion from it should keep some heads down i would think.

Still the coolest unit in the game, but who dares buy one for an ME?

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Zakalwe:

Didn't the AVRE also serve as transportation for a team of combat engineers?

I recall reading somewhere (culd be ASL Chapter H), that the vehicle carried additional demolition equipment and men. However, this isn't modelled in CM.

Somebody else brought this up in the T&T board. Do you have any other documentation than ASL? I am quite sure they got that wrong, since I have never read about this use of the AVRE Petard. I would be interested to find out about it.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

IMHO the AVRE sux.. BUT! i took one when there was fog.. just enough to see 70m no more.. it cleaned house.. well more like took them down and caused havoc on the enemy who bolted when those mortar rounds started going off. biggrin.gif

AVRE in fog = kick ass

AVRE in anything else = waste o points

-----------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 03-06-2001).]