I Love the Random Factor

I love the Random Factor in this game. Especially when the "perfect" plan goes to pieces because of it. Stop complaining when one of your Invincibles goes down. Heck, I lost 2 Hetzers to a Daimler in the same turn. Damned thing was moving besides, and took them out with frontal shots from the opposite diagonal corner of the map! How many times can that happen?

It adds to the richness of the experience. I do love it more when it happens to the other guy.

This is typical for all good games.

- When I win it's a result of my superior skill.

- When I lose it's a result of bad luck.

These statements never fail! wink.gif

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Webmaster of Combat Mission för svensktalande, a CM site in Swedish. Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Icelanders are also welcome as members, others can still enjoy pictures and downloads.

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.

Originally posted by Ksak:

I love the Random Factor in this game. Especially when the "perfect" plan goes to pieces because of it. Stop complaining when one of your Invincibles goes down. Heck, I lost 2 Hetzers to a Daimler in the same turn. Damned thing was moving besides, and took them out with frontal shots from the opposite diagonal corner of the map! How many times can that happen?

It adds to the richness of the experience. I do love it more when it happens to the other guy.

Agree totally with you.

Sig

Originally posted by Ksak:

Heck, I lost 2 Hetzers to a Daimler in the same turn. Damned thing was moving besides, and took them out with frontal shots from the opposite diagonal corner of the map!

Those Daimlers are great, I just took out a hull down Marder with one, again from the opposite side of the map cool.gif .

I can feel a tone of humor here.....

Random factor is great, however the random factor in CM should be tweaked in some areas.

I still believe that the gun damage sign is shown way too often. How about include stuff like, gunner out of action, optics broken, and such - not just gun damage - for me it sounds like some has pierced your gun with a LUCKY shot - how often would that happen in real life????

In CM it happens in almost every battle.

And the random factor should have a limit in armour vs shot, a 7.62mm will never ever knock-out a Tiger. No it have not happen to me, but...

certain guns simply don't have enough penetration energy.

Cheers Jonas

[This message has been edited by bredberg (edited 02-09-2001).]

This may not be entirely on topic, but:

Playing a scenario, I had some TD's firing at a Panther from a treeline. The panther was in a city, and had no idea where the fire was coming from. The shots kept bouncing off or breaking up... I finally got a tread hit and immobilized the beast. The TD's kept pummeling the tank with ricochetes until the crew finally bailed (NOT a KO... the crew just bailed... I suspect because of the immobilized + no idea where fire was coming from.)

It's stuff like this that makes CM better than any other wargame... every single battle is unique.

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

Guest Andrew Hedges

Originally posted by bredberg:

I can feel a tone of humor here.....

Random factor is great, however the random factor in CM should be tweaked in some areas.

I still believe that the gun damage sign is shown way too often. How about include stuff like, gunner out of action, optics broken, and such - not just gun damage - for me it sounds like some has pierced your gun with a LUCKY shot - how often would that happen in real life????

In CM it happens in almost every battle.

And the random factor should have a limit in armour vs shot, a 7.62mm will never ever knock-out a Tiger. No it have not happen to me, but...

certain guns simply don't have enough penetration energy.

Cheers Jonas

[This message has been edited by bredberg (edited 02-09-2001).]

I think the gun damage works about right. There are actually lots and lots of photographs showing tanks with blown up guns. And if you look at larger bored vehicles from the front, the gun -- not just the mantlet, but the actual barrel -- takes up a largish amount of space. And while the barrels are made of thick metal, they are not as thick as the front of late-war tanks, and thus should be able to be damaged by weapons that otherwise could not penetrate the front of a vehicle.

I don't think that all weapons can cause a gun damage result, though; I know I've gotten repeated "gun hits" with a 20mm AA gun against a churchill and was unable to damage the gun.

I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that a gun hit wasn't necessarily a hit on the gun barrel, but any hit that damages the gun. Maybe your optics are taken out, maybe a mantlet hit that wrecks your elevation gears... anything that could keep you from using your main gun.

Just what I always thought....

Scott Karch

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I don't think that all weapons can cause a gun damage result, though; I know I've gotten repeated "gun hits" with a 20mm AA gun against a churchill and was unable to damage the gun.

I've had a Churchill's gun damaged by a 20mm FlaK. It took a LOT of hits, though. And two or three gun hits before it was actually damaged.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley