Low end PC and CMBO: Beat this!

I just played CM on a 120mhz x86 Cyrix, 32mb RAM (72 pin simms!) and a 4mb S3 Virge DX video card (All 1996-ish vintage). It was fairly playable, although the LOS lines didn't change color with obstructions and the smoke was really chunky.

I fired the game up on this same system, but with the stock 2mb non-accelerated card, but its was unplayable, maybe got .5 to 1 fps.

Has anyone gotten CM to run on anything older/slower?

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I once ran CMBO on a energizer battery with a piece of cheese wrapped around it.

How could you tell the in-game sounds from the "boom boom boom" drumming of the energizer bunny?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he probably had it set to spell it out in binary

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: russellmz ]

I once ran a game of CMBO on an Apple IIe computer. Could only get it to make sickening whirling sound but I could tell my Achilles were chewing up Hetzers somewhere in all that green mess on the 2" screen

My god, this is almost a new Peng Challenge: Getting CMBO work in a 486 !!!

OK, I go to my computer lab and try to put it in my 486 DX266@75 with 8MB RAM. Oh, my god... no CD ROM drive or network card....

OK, let me take my original CD and with ARJ, 300 floppies and a bit of time to waste I could do it....

Damm, I did install win 95 from floppies....

Let´s attach a spare 2 gigs HD to the 486 to handle all my mods. Wops, this needs some more floppies...

I don´t have enough of them. Not High density, but wait, with the "hole trick" I could max the performance of those really old 720 Kb.... And if I move my 5 1/4 drive from one side to another....

I'll tell how it´s going....

:D :cool: :D :eek: :eek:

Serves me right for putting "Beat This" on the caption... :rolleyes:

Rumors has it that the Germans ran an early beta of CM:BO (Combat Mission:Before Overlord) on their Enigma machines

Gyrene

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

Olle, I tried CM on that old PC just to see if it could hack it, my cousin wants to get the game, but he's a cheapskate when it comes to upgrading. smile.gif

I normally play the game on my mac, and it handles it fine.

I will try your fast mods, though, it'll be interesting to see the difference. Thanks!