Cover Arc in CMBB question.

I am curios as to how the cover arc will work in CMBB. I imagine that you set two points, making a field of fire, when the enemy enters this cover arc, you open up. But how does this work for suppresion? Will the MGs in CMBB sweep from one target to the next, just getting enemys cautious and pinned, or will it be like a blanket effect, slowing and needleing everyone in its arc? How will it be represemted graphicly? It would be cool to see an entire area get hosed by a MG, not just pluncking away at one squad at a time. Anybody have an idea about how this might be done? What would you like to see?

BTS' previous comments on covered arcs:

Question: Why does the ambush have a limited range?

An MG study: is there a problem here?

An open debate on gamey tactics

I don't think that the presence of fire lanes per se increases ROF or target switching in CMBB, but many changes of how MGs work look to be in CMBB. I'd imagine that the game would still target individual units and the quickly retarget rather than continuously spray from one end of the arc to the other. After all the "individual" units actually represent a group of men being sprayed. But of course I really don't know.

- Chris

Ideally I'd like to see the mg have a covered arc where one defined the sides and maximum range, then the game would figure out a hit/suppression figure for all the units in the covered arc. Obviously, a single man or two-man unit might have a better chance to avoid being hit or suppressed than would a 12-man squad or a building. Suppression would be almost as critical as hitting anything, because travel accross the covered arc would be denied all but the bravest (seasoned, wise to the use of cover) or most foolhardy (inexperienced) units. Any units wandering into the covered arc would be subject to losses, pinning and panicky retreats.

Now, the MG's rate of fire would enter into this, as a weapon like a slow-firing one would not have the same effect as an MG42 buzz saw, pumping out 3 times the lead or more. Also, if one enthusiastically created a huge arc (say 45 degrees or more) there'd be a proportional loss of effectiveness within the arc.

I'd set up the arc by defining a line from the gun to the midline maximum distance, a click a max range and then a sweep to the side would define one half the covered arc, the computer mirroring the opposite side from the midline for you. Once the MG opened up, you'd see the tracers going out from the gun position towards the ends of the arc, sweeping back and forth to represent the area of fire.

Now how hard would that be to simulate? I'm not a programmer, I'm just asking...

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: gunnergoz ]</p>