A couple of suggestions

Probably not for CMB2B but I think they should be looked at for the new engine design.

Tracer richocette: If you've seen it for real it adds a whole new dimension to realism.

Tracks: Human and Vehicle. Looks good and helps recce.

Anybody else got some "way out there" suggestions?

One enhancement to fog of war I would like to see eventually is for "eliminated" enemy units. I think there is too much certainty about whether a unit has been destroyed or not.

For example, when you discover an enemy gun emplacement, you might call in artillery. You know too well when you have had success because the info window tells you it is eliminated. You can call off the barrage next turn to save shells. Sure, often there would be a catastrophic explosion or some other clue that the thing is out of action, but occasionally it would be interesting to have the gun you thought you knocked out come back to life (a la Merli's 50 cal) or to continually pound a position you think is active but has actually been eliminated.

The more friendly units spotting and the closer they are, the less likely this would happen. Ordering your crew or unit to hide might slightly increase the chance the enemy thinks you are dead.

Again, this would not happen every time, but would add some uncertainty and force the player to close to the position to make certain. It would almost never happen with vehicles or moving units, only units (primarily defense) with decent cover.

Just a thought--I don't recall this being mentioned before, but I'm sure it has.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj. Battaglia:

One enhancement to fog of war I would like to see eventually is for "eliminated" enemy units. I think there is too much certainty about whether a unit has been destroyed or not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One funny thing is that if you KO a vehicle

with artillery, it will sometimes suddenly

appear as spotted and destroyed on the map,

even if it was only a 'last seen' icon

before.

A great pleasure of another sort, though

is dropping heavy arty over a low rise, and

seeing plumes of smoke come up from the

other side.

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I would be happy to see firing with impunity through friendly units eliminated. Indeed, make it a part of an overall change to fire effecting all units it passes through whether enemy or friendly.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not a bad idea, but it needs to be implemented in such a way that there are not an unrealistically high number of friendly casualties.

Mostly I'm concerned at a possible lack of realism relating to close in units getting hit. AFAIK, almost all incidents of friendly fire are related to mistaken identity, with a couple of incidents having to do with the fact that there were friendly units near an enemy unit that the firing unit was shooting at.

I don't know of any incidents (although it probably happened a couple of times) where a friendly, non-panicking tank shot another friendly tank in the back while trying to aim at a distant enemy tank, or where a friendly MG crew shot up a nearby friendly platoon while aiming at a more distant enemy unit.

However, I'm sure that it was very common for units to hold their fire until they could be sure that they wouldn't hit friendlies.

Basically, I think that the AI should take care of this by not firing when it recognizes the possibility of friendly units getting hit. With a couple of exceptions when the target and the friendly unit are close together...perhaps this should depend on the experience level of the firing unit and on whether the player gave the targetting order.

This would mean that there would be deployment problems if there were a lot of tanks too close together (which appears to have been of some concern; cf. the tanker radio conversations posted by WBW in that other thread).

I recently played a scenario (which will remain nameless for spoiler problems) in which there were 10 or so tanks coming down a road in column. I had a unit in a house where the road made a bend, which meant that all ten tanks were pointing at my unit (soon to be ex-unit). Realistically, only the first tank should have had a shot at the unit in the house, at least until the others deployed to the side of the road. What really happened, of course -- vehicles being invisible -- is that all 10 tanks opened up on my unit, with main guns *and* MGs. This is not realistic.

Of course, if my unit had been, say, an AT gun, it would also have been able to open fire on any of the 10 tanks in the column. But this is not entirely realistic either, as the gun should only have a clear shot at the first tank. Indeed, IIRC, the reason that the Jumbo was developed was with the idea that it would lead columns like this.

I like all the suggestions so far.

For night combat I would also like to see illumination from starshells (and perhaps fires), and gunflashes from all firing units. Gunsflashes can can allow units to be targeted at longer range but probably should be restricted to area fire. Gunflashes located too close to enemy units would increase the change of recieving friendly fire. And light flashes from explosions.

I would also like to see increased concealment for bunkers and vehicles in non-open ground terrain.

And I would like to see ammo carriers for in-game resupply (infantry only, should be for long scenarios) that blow up spectacularly.

And for something that is really way out there, I would like to have speed of sound delays based on the distance from the "camera" to the gunfire/explosion. Especially when combined with nighttime lightflashes. OK, I better stop now! :D

Cheers!

-gabe-