Direct hits on MGs

Machineguns are too survivable. There has been countless number of times when I’ve placed a medium to large HE round squarely on a machinegun, only to watch it speed away (sarcasm re: running mgs). A machinegun team never loses its single MG. This is unlike normal infantry squads when a man goes down a weapon is lost. Another instance is when a gun or mortar is hit hard enough to force its members to abandon the weapon.

One might write that the MG itself is too hard to hit. Perhaps, but this is doubtful especially if the firer is a tank within 50 meters. Also note the ability of tanks to hit trap shots out to several hundreds of meters. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll? How many 75+ mm HE rounds does it take to bust up a single MG instead of trying to kill every single member of the heavy machinegun? The MG itself could be hit, buried under rubble, or tossed a few hundred meters into the air.

I know, I know, some players are upset that MGs in CM1 are modeled too ineffectively. That’s ducky. But Steve recently wrote that MGs in CM2 are going to be modeled to maximum lethality. MG lovers rejoice! However this still does not alleviate, “What about knocking out the MG itself?” question. It’s a bit unorthodox to have a tank sitting within 100 meters of an enemy MG nest pouring out medium caliber HE rounds for little to minimal effect. “Shoot at the MG, fools!”

As with most things in CM it is an abstract of a machine gun crew. In a given tile just because it is flat looking does not mean it is flat per se. The crew could be behind sme schrubes or a small crator shooting away. The HE shell may look like it hits directly on the crew but it probably it hitting something real close. Like possibly the lip of a crevace, or crator.

MGs crews can be real tough guys but I have also seen them flee like little school girls at the first sign of fire. It all depends on where you place them.

Gen

In the fourth battle (the ME one) of Operation "No rest for the weary" I have seen the first german HMG pinned, taking cover and UNARMED, with a last survivor. Usually they surrender when reduced to one and well beaten.

(edited to add:

It continued to be a Speed class :slow / Transport class: 2 , though. (Is he carrying a unserviciable weapon? I assume this is the Standard-Operation-Procedure => "MGs are expensive, Mr.", I´m listening all Sarges to say))

On the contrary, a six men crew from an 81 mortar KO -complete with all hands- is a

Sèed class: fast / Transport class: 1 ((Not that mortars are cheaper!)) I asume it is coded in this way.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: Paco QNS ]