How is this Peng thing relevant to CM?

As you can tell by my member number, I've been at this a while. Occasionally, I will glance at the Peng threads, but it has always looked like nonsense to me. I have noticed how quickly the moderators of this forum move to "lock" irrelevant posts. Why, then, is this allowed to continue and occupy so much space? Not a sermon, just a thought!

The Peng thread is now a tradition. It's really a PBEM club of sorts. They make maps for each other and generally enjoy the hell out of CM without whining about this or that game characteristic they feel is unrealistic. There are some very good players among the Pengers and I get the impression that most of them like to play CM as a tactical simulation rather than as a game. IOW, they tend not to be gamey. At least that's my impression of the Pengers having played a couple of them.

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst155 wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>There are some very good players among the Pengers and I get the impression that most of them like to play CM as a tactical simulation rather than as a game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe he was referring to me. Now, if you really want to know what it's like to swim in the cesspool, dive on in!

If your member number actually means anything, then you should be aware of the many people who have asked this same question before – some very recently – and you should be aware of BTS's response. Otherwise there's no point using it as some kind of rank.

The Peng Challenge Thread represents people who do not wish to query the penetration values of a late war 256mm cowpat launcher against reinforced German field grey combat clothing at an angle of 56° in damp conditions when the firer has the sun in his eyes and 28.5% of his brain is occupied devising the most combat-efficient way to construct a decorative daisy chain out of French flowers while under an 81mm mortar bombardment. It is just a place to challenge people to a game, pretend to be tactically competent, and employ the humour which is so often lacking in other parts of the board.

Some long-standing and rather knowledgeable board members number amongst the Peng Thread regulars. BTS allows the thread as a single place for the less-than-serious stuff on the board. It does not occupy any significant bandwidth, or slow the search, or crash the forum. There are many more threads which come and go, whereas the Peng Thread simply looks big and overbearing because it remains on page 1 until it reaches 300 posts or so, when a new thread is created.

You would be best advised to simply refrain from starting up new threads to complain about the Peng Thread, because these are in themselves causing far more forum clutter.

It is a place for member sof the forum to meet up with other CM players, hurl incredibly funny and, for the most part intelligent, insults and taunts back and forth wage war via Combat Mission with each other, hone their tactical and gameplay techniques and generally tick off people from time to time.

Think of it as a huge disfunctional PBEM/TCP game community with an abusive father, a neglect Mother and a Cousin that keeps bumming the other members of the family for cigarette money.

We read it (if the verb READ is really applicable) from time to time, get a chuckle out of it and allow it to continue.

And Why? Well because...

Time to move on gentlemen....

Madmatt

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]