Elite HMG 42 opens up on a Pershing

Originally posted by Porajkl:

...A lesson learned: never, never forget to hide those Rambos! From now on I'll always select ALL units and order them to hide on setup.

Hi Porajkl-

That's a good plan...but, the technique has a caveat (or used to).

The HIDE command is not an absolute command, but instead acts as a toggle. Meaning that if you select ALL units, and issue a HIDE command it will reverse he current HIDE orders of the selected units. This could have unintended consequences causing units that are already hidden to STOP HIDING...

The HIDE command that you see on the right-click menu (HIDE or STOP HIDING) seems to be dependent on the HIDE status "active" unit in a group selection. I use the word "active" to refer to the unit whose stats are visible in the information window at the bottom of your screen. If the active unit is currently hidden, then the HIDE Command available from the right-click menu for all selected units will be STOP HIDING. Selecting the command will act as a toggle, causing the active unit to STOP HIDING and reversing the HIDE orders or the other selected units.

Sorry if I've been confusing.

------------------

Steve of BTS - "With a company our size, every sale does in fact count (unlike every vote in certain assbackwards states :D)."

Originally posted by Freak:

Hey good points Leonidas. I agree with the over aggresiveness of the HMG squad. A command to control their aggresive mindset would be nice.

I am hoping that for the future of CM (CM and beyond) that units such as HMG's are not as trigger happy as they are. I picture myself in a situation say the one I presented above and I cannot picture myself going up against those odds in any situation. I hope that presevation of units is emphasized more in CM 2 and beyond.

Maybe this will be solved in CM2 for the Soviets, at least, with the addition of HMG Commissars! If one of these Commie gems is within Tokarev range of a subordinate HMG unit in hiding, then if the HMG prematurely opens fire it's - POW! POW! - no more HMG fire...

Originally posted by Grisha:

Maybe this will be solved in CM2 for the Soviets, at least, with the addition of HMG Commissars! If one of these Commie gems is within Tokarev range of a subordinate HMG unit in hiding, then if the HMG prematurely opens fire it's - POW! POW! - no more HMG fire...

This may be more realistic than you think! If the HMG gives away its platoon's position and as a result half the platoon gets shredded, I don't think they will get a pleasant reception in camp that night.