OT: 13 Days

Well, I saw it Friday night, all I can say it was absolutely incredible! I went to the 12:30 am showing and was afraid I would fall asleep; by the time we got out of there a little after 3 i was wide awake, it's that good. The acting and dialogue is great, and even though I obviously knew what was going to happen it still managed to build suspense. Also got to see trailers for Pearl Harbor and Enemy at the Gates. Gates should be awesome, i hope they don't screw it up, and they better not butcher Pearl Harbor...

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

How does it end? Does the US back down? Is a nuclear war started? biggrin.gif

Actually when this movie actually comes anywhere near my little town (ETA 2143AD) I will be the first in line. The adds had me hooked. That and Enemy at the Gates....

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tho it does paint a rather bad portrait of Maxfield Taylor and Curtis LeMay (both famous WW2 vets), doesn't it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, but LeMay wasn't exactly the brightest stars the USAF ever produced. It seemed to me he had all of Patton's faults and none of his style.

I saw it on Friday as well. I'm not sure that I agree that it "paints a bad picture" of some of the brass. One must keep in mind the mentality of the time, and especially of those high ranking officers advising the Pres. All of those guys had recently (less than 20 years previously) fought a long, bloody war, partly because the US was blindsided by a sneak attack at Pearl Harbor (I know - I could be opening another can of worms here, but I'm merely focusing on the sneak attack as the bone of contention in the context of the Missile Crisis). Because they were already caught with their proverbial pants down in 1941, they feverishly wanted to avoid another Pearl Harbor. Their solution was to hit the enemy first...

While that seems like an overreaction today, I can't say that I wouldn't have agreed with them had I been there in 1962! Just damned glad that things worked out the way they did! Good movie. Great casting too (They nailed McNamara dead on IMO).

------------------

"Oooh, tough crowd. A real bunch of nihilists.

Let them eat chads..." - Lawyer (who else!?)

Guest Mirage2k

I also thought it was great. From everything I've read about them, they got McNamara and LeMay just about right in the movie. I had thought Taylor had been less aggressive in real life, though, and much more agreeable with the president.

I thought it had some great sequences: mainly the aircraft flying low-level recon (Thunderchiefs? I'm not well-versed on early-1960s aircraft), and the U-2 getting shot down.

The worst part was the horde of 14 year olds sitting in front of me. "What's this about?" "I think it's, um, I think it's about World War—" "It has the President in it!" "Bill Clinton isn't in it, is he? I don't want to see anything with Bill Clinton"

Dear God help us.

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

From what I recall, LeMay thought the agreement letter sent by Khruschev on that last Sunday was a lie (the Rooskies were merely playing for time!), and pressed Kennedy to still go ahead with the bombings on Monday. His plan called for something like 1080 sorties in ome day --- they would have sunk Cuba into the ocean from all the iron dropped onto it!

Suprisingly, the movie gets most of the facts straight (even some of the minor details like the Lebanese flag on the first ship stopped) --- not so suprisingly, it mixes the chronological sequence up for dramatic effect.

PS: those low-level recon AC were Crusaders.

-----

The worst part was the horde of 14 year olds sitting in front of me. "What's this about?" "I think it's, um, I think it's about World War—" "It has the President in it!" "Bill Clinton isn't in it, is he? I don't want to see anything with Bill Clinton"

-----

Ugh. Reminds me of the time that I saw Titanic with my girlfriend and I "spolied" the movie to a bunch of 14-year olds by saying the ship sank....

Sometimes I weep for the future..

LimShady