Internet play questions

I tried to do a search to answer these questions but haven't had any luck, any help is appreciated.

1) Can a game be started as an email game then continued as a TCP/IP and vice versa? If so what is the procedure?

2) What is the best way to stop and save a TCP/IP game for continuation at a later date?

If this is documented somewhere just point me in the right direction.

Answers:

1. Yes - When you are in the orders phase of your PBEM turn, do a save (Alt-s). Then go back to Play Game and bring up the saved game. Select the TCP/IP option and you are off and running.

2. Get to a good stopping point (say, shortly after a movie and when the opponent is ready), and save the game with Alt-s, then just abort the scenario with Alt-a. Resume as given in 1.

I hope that is sufficiently clear...

Guest Madmatt

1) Can a game be started as an email game then continued as a TCP/IP and vice versa? If so what is the procedure?

Yes You just save the game and then reload it at another time. When you reload a saved game you can pick how you wish continue it (as a Hotseat. PBEM, TCP etc..)

2) What is the best way to stop and save a TCP/IP game for continuation at a later date?

See Above smile.gif Save the game while you are playing and then arrange a time to meet back with your opponent. Reload the save file and away you go.

The patch itself comes with detailed directions on all facets of playing a TCP game.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-29-2001).]

Yes. You can stop and start and continue to play a multiplayer game anyway you want.To play a PBEM as a TCP/IP game what you do is open the PBEM file then "save" the game. Close out of the PBEM file and go open the "saved" you will prompted for how you want to play it (TCP/IP, PBEM or Hotseat). Just continue from there.

I think the best time to save a TCP/IP game is right after watching the movie..before either player plots anything. Doing that ensures that when the game is continued both players are at the point in the turn. And of course the best way to stop a TCP/IP game is by letting your opponant know that you are stopping and that you intend to finish the game at another time. Just getting out of the game without saying anything is bad form.

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

Thanks all for the quick and informative responses. I've looked at the readme files that came with the new patch but unless I'm missing something they don't address switching between PBEM and TCP/IP. Maybe the beta TCP/IP instructions had more detail since I do remember reading about being able to switch.