Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tank smoke mortars

Just a question for the grogs.

How many times could a tank pop smoke? In CM it seems unlimiited. Ive had tanks pop smoke and reverse 5 or 6 times in a single battle. I would think it would be 1-2 tmes in real life before reloading.

It depends whether they're firing smoke grenades with the main gun or use the smoke mortars that fire straight ahead.

The german "Fuchs" APC we used in the Bundeswehr could only fire one salvo of these smoke rounds before reloading, although I read somewhere that the M1A1 could fire twice.

I'd have trouble believing it was more than twice without reloading. I too have lots of trouble with Shermans popping smoke 5 times in one battle without the crew climbing out to reload. I also thought the Nahverteidgungswaffe thing could fire smoke as well as HE. It also was reloaded from within the vehicle.

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

IIRC ww2 smoke mortars are unlike modern ones. The ww2 ones could be reloaded from within the tank. Modern ones create a larger cloud (thus requiring a larger shell), and are composed of thermal-opaque chemicals (ie cannot be seen through effectively with thermal sights).