A New Proposal: Fantasy Football setting for German Players

After watching and participating in the arguments around the 1.1 changes, I think I have what may be the best solution.

Anyone who knows this board knows that there are constiuencies. Every wekk or so someone, usually whose Tiger just got killed by a Sherman, requests a change to make X German tank more powerful. The reason is not because they want to always win, but because the German Army has been so built up in their mind as undefeatable that it is a shock when the allies do just that, especially to an invincable German tank.

The tanks are the key to it. Some modeller model only German tanks -- they are cooler, were more deadly looking, and genrally had neater camo schemes. Books written about them praise their ability. Anyone who used to play Squad Leader at the Tourney level knows the players who will play nothing else but Germans. And, I submit there is nothing wrong with only being willing to play Germans.

So, any change to balance the game, or make it more historical, that also does anything to effect German tanks (except that is, to make them more powerful) is greeted by a firestorm of controversy. This never occurs with allied tanks.

To solve this, I propse that, for the German side only, there be a QB setting called fantasy football. The fantasy football would remave all axis restrictions on purchase. German players need only click the button, and they can buy anything, or not click the button, and be restricted to more historical force mixtures. The allied player could be informed of the axis players choice.

This would end almost all of the griping, since the axis players who want no restrictions have the chance, and while the ones that want historical limitations can have that choice also. Everyone would be happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warphead-:

Can you have tank-crews of Orcs, Woodelf scouts, Dwarven engineers, Highelf Artillery and Barbarian Sturmgruppen then? biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Commanded by an 8th level Teutonic Palladin with +2 Armour and Protection from Tungsten.

DG

Mmmmmm.... fantasy CM setting....

That would certainly end the "they aren't as/are too powerful" discussions. How would they know??? wink.gif

Guess that is why I draw fantasy pictures as a hobby. Who is going to tell me how my subjects are supposed to look?

http://www.geocities.com/jryan_99

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

[This message has been edited by Polar (edited 01-20-2001).]

Ever since the beta demo was released, I've been agitating to have Kender and half elf scouts included. BTS, you've got some explaining to do smile.gif

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I haven't ever read a post which says "German tanks should be invincible".

People prefer to play as the Germans because it is very convenient. It is easier to have a knowledge of German weapons and tactics than each and every individual Allied force.

The stereotype is also that Allies fought with a lot of mass-produced "junk" weaponary.

The only bleating I have seen is from German players complaining about the Tungsten Team of killer Allied tanks which seems a bit unlikely.

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk

For all our AARs (not those which have been lost)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

I haven't ever read a post which says "German tanks should be invincible".

People prefer to play as the Germans because it is very convenient. It is easier to have a knowledge of German weapons and tactics than each and every individual Allied force.

The stereotype is also that Allies fought with a lot of mass-produced "junk" weaponary.

The only bleating I have seen is from German players complaining about the Tungsten Team of killer Allied tanks which seems a bit unlikely.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw Bates, but everytime a move to make the game more realistic in any way effects the Germans, a cry goes up that is amazing. I just think a fantasy setting would solve it -- let those people play fantasy instead of historical mode.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warphead-:

Can you have tank-crews of Orcs, Woodelf scouts, Dwarven engineers, Highelf Artillery and Barbarian Sturmgruppen then? biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ents. I demand Ents. I want to be able to bring the forest with me when necessary or have the trees deny them to my enemy. I can see them screaming now "That tree damaged the gun on my King Tiger, that's not realistic!!"

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

Naw it's time BTS kicked back & gave evry one APCR rounds, on any date; that way no one can complain they don't have APCR rounds, or this or that tank is to strong etc, and that should settle the PBEM whineing that kicked off all the point flamefests & T availability threads.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 01-20-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Polar:

Guess that is why I draw fantasy pictures as a hobby. Who is going to tell me how my subjects are supposed to look?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a coincidence, so do I.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/exreb/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> After watching and participating in the arguments around the 1.1 changes, I think I have what may be the best solution. Why doesn't someone go and stuff Slappy's head in his butt. This would end almost all of the griping... Everyone would be happy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So sorry if I broke the netiquette by the misquote.

Makes my JAZZA misquote pale.. biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

Naw it's time BTS kicked back & gave evry one APCR rounds, on any date; that way no one can complain they don't have APCR rounds, or this or that tank is to strong etc, and that should settle the PBEM whineing that kicked off all the point flamefests & T availability threads.

Regards, John Waters

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An equally absurd suggestion that certainly would clear up the whole T thread issue. You could make Allied T as common as candy in fantasy play.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

So sorry if I broke the netiquette by the misquote.

Makes my JAZZA misquote pale.. biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor Jarmo. Meds already wearing off I see. Well, take two and be happy. I am sure breaking nettiquette is nether new nor surprising for you, so no harm done. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

Slapdragon:

I expected better from you. Especially you being a college professor and all. I'll let this one slide.

Shame shame. biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Panther, not much of a stretch. My students and even fellow faculty come up with unsupported or silly research. Sometimes I come up with it too. Usually it is something silly like aliens killed JFK, or diamons placed on the wanker cures warts or whatever. It goes against the current understanding of things so it is up to them to do so.

If they try, then its peer review time. Kick holes in it, and if you cannot then you have a good argument to replace your current understanding.

However -- there are people called luddites who espouse unproved and odd positions with no proof more powerful than an Oliver Stone movie. Some out of ignorance, some out of plain old stupidity. For them, only humor and ridule exists. You cannot argue with them. For them, there should be a fantasy button the the world! smile.gif