Villers-Bocage, Through the Lens

Picked up my copy of this again, and I was marvelling at what a great read it is.

In case any of you out there do not have this, I would recommend that you pick it up. It is a complete treatment of the famous battle of Michael Wittmann on June 13, 1944. It is centered on the well-known series of photos about that battle. The author has done quite a bit of research, and although there are a few points that disagree with some other well-respected sources (Agte and Schneider, for instance) I think it is very well done. There are several maps, and some graphic charts illustrating the TO&E of the various units involved. The photo coverage is very good, with a section with some maps and points where all the photos were taken.

If you like reading about this battle, go out and get it. It is even fairly reasonably priced - in this day of $100 picture books about Tigers. smile.gif

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

Yep Mace and GS, there you go:

From Amazon.co.uk

Battle of the Bulge Through the Lens

Philip M. Vorwald

Hardcover - 296 pages ( 1 December, 2000)

After the Battle; ISBN: 1870067231

Reviews

Synopsis

In this work, The author retraces the fields of the battle in Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany which were once bitterly contested killing grounds in the struggle to halt Hitler's final gambit in the West. The battle touched dozens of towns and villages throughout the Ardennes and each is depicted through the photographer's lens in 1944-45 and exactly 50 years later. Vorwald manages to precisely match the wartime photographs with present-day comparisons, and has striven in many cases to achieve a "weather match". Presented in an easy-to-use alphabetical format, the precise location where each picture was taken is indicated on accompanying sketch maps, with instructions on how to get there, giving this publication a secondary role as a useful guide book to historic sites of the Battle of the Bulge.

Just when I think I should never put money into ordering books any more...

Here is another one:

Dieppe Through the Lens

Hugh G. Henry Jr, Jean Paul Pallud

Hardcover - 64 pages (31 December, 1993)

After the Battle; ISBN: 0900913762

Reviews

Synopsis

The 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment was one of the first Canadian armoured regiments to be formed and was also the first to be committed to battle. The action of every one of the regiment's tanks that landed at Dieppe is described in detail by Hugh G. Henry Jr who has spent several years on his research and interviewed all the regiment's survivors. Every Churchill tank and armoured car left behind on the beach is pictured, selected from photographic coverage of the time. In addition, annotated aerial photographs by Jean Paul Pallud pinpoint and identify the position of every vehicle and full crew lists are given for each. The result is a uniquely illustrated "after-action" report of Canada's worst military defeat.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"