Are my troops blind?

I've seen this occur twice now. Axis troops misidentifying a Sherman Jumbo as a Tank Destroyer? I had a Stug bounce THREE shells off this magical tank destroyer before I realized something was amiss.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm sure that it was quite common for tanks to be misidentified on the battle field, but I think it's a bit silly that a Jumbo would be mistakenly identified as an open topped vehicle with a completely different silhouette. Having it identified as one of it's less well armored brethren or maybe just as Sherman? would be more realistic. Or maybe I just have me head up my ass.

BTW both times this occurred it was a clear day.

Let the flames begin...

I think this may be due to its gun. I've seen a Firefly misidentified as as TD. I suppose a short-gunned Sherman will be a "Sherman?" whereas a long-gunned Sherman will be a "Tank Destroyer?". I doubt it would be easy to notice an open top at a distance, even if you were at a higher elevation.

David

button.gif

I'm with David here.

Provided that it was a Jumbo(76) the long gun, turret extended to the rear, and generally Shermanish look will make it look like a M10.

TDs were more common than the generic Sherman(76), that in turn were much more common than the very few Jumbo(76)s produced.

If, however, it was a Jumbo(75), I can't understand why it wasn't identified as Sherman(?)...

Cheers

Olle

Guest Andrew Hedges

Although this is not modelled in CM, it was not uncommon for 76mm Sherms, especially in July/August '44, to be misidentified by US troops as PzIV?. Simply because of the longer gun, and, I believe, the muzzle brake.

Winter '45. I was lucky enough to have a Koenigstiger around. Between it and a Hetzer, the battlefield was littered with Shermans.

My KT was in a hull down position overlooking the only approach to the town I was defending. A Sherman(?) came into view. The KT crew, confident of their uberpanzer, slowly turned the turred 20 degrees left and aimed at the big turret of the brave-but-stupid Sherman who also decided to engage my KT. Bah, I said, it should have popped smoke and ran like chicken.

The long 88 burst as the whole 70-ton tank shook in recoil. The shell struck and bounced. Something was amiss. Nothing to worry about, though. A lucky Jumbo, the crew of KT thought.

An instant later, the Sherman thundered. The shell struck the KTs turret and went through its thick armor like it was paper. The shocked crew escaped the burning tank.

When the smoke cleared, the Sherman revealed its true form: a Pershing. A big, fat, happy Pershing.

This happened to me recently, too. I was playing a QB against the computer and my troops misidentified a sherman as a TD.

I wasted a lot of mortar ammo on it, but I thought it was cool that they were confused.

The TD was in a scattered trees area. I really like it when my troops screw up the ID, cause it makes the game seem more realistic.

In truth, under the circumstances (an artillery bombardment too horrifying to describe in detail here) Im pretty thankful my shelled-silly troops IDd the Sherman as another AFV, and not as a baboon or an ocean liner or a recent issue of Maxim.

All things considered...

Misidentifying units and vehicles happens a lot in a battle. It only adds to the realism. To prevent being fooled, look for "?" in the unit title and pay attention to how the unit moves and the sound of its gun and the muzzle velocity of the round. I think the game fools you with a visual misidentifying but not a sound one. Anyone have a different experience?

Originally posted by Commissar:

I think the game fools you with a visual misidentifying but not a sound one. Anyone have a different experience?

I have, and it deals with Mark IVs misidentified as Tigers. A Tiger makes a distinctive "clanging" sound when moving, and I've heard that sound coming from misidentified Mark IVs on numerous occasions.

Just yesterday I had a night action where my troops managed to misidentify a PzIV sound contact as "light armor?" (with predictably bad consequences for the Stuart that went hunting it) and an armored car sound contact - I forget the exact type, but those darn four-shot 20mm salvos really hurt my M10 - as a "tank?".

After that opening, I was spooked, I can tell you. The ghostly sound contacts wandering around the map suddenly ALL seemed like Tigers to me.

Originally posted by SuperSlug:

Or maybe I just have me head up my ass.

Let the flames begin...

I personally think the software is cheating you !

In addition, most soldiers are just going to see a tank with armour. M10 or Sherman, it won't matter, they will treat them the same and fire ! That is reality of the battlefield.

Regards,

GB