A Question - Volksgrenadier Battalions

In all my PBEM games i rarely buy SMG squads although i have often faced them in PBEM. I prefer rifle 45's or maybe the paras. I have no problem to face them by the way.

I am now playing a 1,500pt QB where i saw the map first before purchasing units and the flags are right in the middle of heavy woods/pines and trees. Obviously in a battle like this i need large firepower at short ranges. SMG squads look quite attractive for the battle but i did not want to pick hoards of SMG platoons since i know many players will think it Gamey? maybe?

Anyway in order to keep my purchase realistic i opted for a Battalion of Volksgrenadier which includes a healthy dose of SMG - just what i need for the job in hand and as a Battalion the price is attractive and within my points purchase range (I opted not to buy any armour or AFV)

My question is how realistic is it to buy this force? I figured that a Battalion has a OOB that was real, but knowing that every other squad is either SMG or HMG would it be classed as a "hoarde of SMG's" ? I guess after reading the recent SMG posts in other threads i am now feeling a little guilty :eek: Maybe i do have a concience after all :cool:

CDIC

This is definately a question you should ask your opponent.

That being said...The top players at TH (the best players in world, in my opinion) generally acknowledge that the Volk's SMG are grossly undervalued in price for the amount of fire power they bring to the table no matter what the scenario (save, perhaps, a map void of any vegetation.) Play "Swamp" at TH to better understand what I am writing about.

Good luck. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

SMG squads look quite attractive for the battle but i did not want to pick hoards of SMG platoons since i know many players will think it Gamey?

CDIC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like that platoon of WASPs in the middle of a city fight?

;);););)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triumvir:

How exactly do you see the map before purchasing units? Enquiring minds want to know, damnit!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it is a game being setup with the map editor with the help of a 3rd party. Like in the "CM Celebrety" tournament.

Many players do indeed buy SMG squads for their short range firepower - especially if the QB perameter is heavy trees/farm/rural setting and even more so if the weather conditions mean poor visibility.

But is it not true that allied players under such conditions nearly always purchase Americans?

Not many players would choose British, Canadian, or Polish since we know that their infantry cannot cut it at close range encounters?

Axis players are not the only ones to select forces according to the battle perameters ;)

Just a thought.

CDIC

PS. Yes i saw the map because it was a "Tourney" with maps made by a 3rd party tongue.gif

I guess everyone should be happy the VG in CM don't get the VG1-5 rifle. The Germans were working on for VG troops, picture running into a whole squad with their own purpose made assault rifle, instead of lousy SMG's :D

Regards, John Waters

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]