"TF Stark" - feedback without spoilers

This is my opinion of the CD scenario, "TF Stark". The opinion is based on a two player non-blind PBEM. By "non-blind" I mean that both players had knowledge of enemy setup zones and force makeup; but had never played the scenario. It was simply looked over briefly in the editor by both players. No spoilers below.

I enjoyed this one as originally designed; but it can be improved IMO. There is a large VL about 150 meters from a neutral map edge. This means a large portion of the battle could take place very near that edge. The presence of the map edge alters tactics drastically. I would move this VL another 100 meters from the map edge before starting a two-player battle.

There is also a small VL on the opposite map edge. This one is OK, and makes for an interesting side show to the main event. Because it is a small VL, no large amount of action is likely to take place there.

The German attacker does not have enough time to accomplish his mission if he has any concern at all for limiting casualties. The time limit should be extended another 10 turns IMO. Ten turns is only 10 minutes. Sometimes I think designers forget this.

It is possible the time limit was used as a balancing tool for the scenario. If true, a good explanation of why the mission must be accomplished quickly should be in the briefing.

This is a fun scenario IMO. It may be a bit slow for the defender in the first half; but this is unavoidable if the attacker is to have options. Starting "in contact", or very nearly so, is just the designer committing your forces to a certain course of action, then leaving you to pull the trigger and pay for his mistakes. smile.gif

• 3 months later...

I have suffered a total defeat in PBEM as the Allies in this one.

I had totally re-worked the default set-up, but it apparently based upon desastrous tactical choices.

According to my opponent, my forces were too scaterred. Ok, but as the front is quite large and the visbilty low, i'd like to hear other experiences from players in this scenario.