For Hiram, Who I Love

Jim Plunkett passed for three touchdowns, including an 80-yard strike to Kenny King, as the Raiders became the first wild-card team to win the Super Bowl.

Plunkett's touchdown bomb to King – the longest play in Super Bowl history – gave Oakland a decisive 14-0 lead with nine seconds left in the first period.

Linebacker Rod Martin had set up Oakland's first touchdown, a 2-yard reception by Cliff Branch, with a 17-yard interception return to the Eagles' 30-yard line. The Eagles never recovered from that early deficit, managing only Tony Franklin's field goal (30 yards) and an 8-yard touchdown pass from Ron Jaworski to Keith Krepfle.

Plunkett, who became a starter in the sixth game of the season, completed 13 of 21 for 261 yards and was named the game's most valuable player.

Oakland won 9 of 11 games with Plunkett starting, but that was good enough only for second place in the AFC West, although they tied division winner San Diego with an 11-5 record.

The Raiders, who had previously won Super Bowl XI over Minnesota, had to win three playoff games to get to the championship game. Oakland defeated Houston 27-7 at home followed by road victories over Cleveland (14-12) and San Diego (34-27).

Oakland's Mark van Eeghen was the game's leading rusher with 75 yards on 18 carries. Philadelphia's Wilbert Montgomery led all receivers with six receptions for 91 yards. Branch had five for 67 and Harold Carmichael of Philadelphia five for 83.

Martin finished the game with 3 interceptions, a Super Bowl record.

Go Raiders!

Guest MantaRay

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Plunkett's touchdown bomb to King – the longest play in Super Bowl history – gave Oakland a decisive 14-0 lead with nine seconds left in the first period.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Longest Reception

81 Antonio Freeman (from Brett Favre), Green Bay (vs. New England, 1997)

Longest Play

99 Desmond Howard, Green Bay (vs. New England, 1997)

Go Lions! Oh crap they didn't make it. Maybe next year.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

smile.gif

Sorry mate but it all means nothing to me.Dont understand a thing.

We Play Rugby down here,where men go for a full 40minutes non stop per half without getting replace every 2 minutes to have a rest.Now that is an action packed game without all this stop start stuff.

------------------

"Some people don't see the light until they first feel the heat"

hey Titan,

Isn't that scrum just Australian for coffee break. I thought that's where all the players leaned on each others shoulders for a quick breather?

wink.gif

Great game though! My sister's fiance plays for one of the biggest teams in Boston. He was even on the cover of a couple magazines this year.

scott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevetherat:

I see Elopidae Reeks has been trying to sell the virtue of a pansies game again.

Well, take off your tutus yankees and come play a proper game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, no I'm not saying that football is better than rugby. It is unnecessary to argue that a game that involves so much strategy is better than the sport that is little more than a glorified game of Smear the Queer. No, this post is just to point out to Hiram that his ponderous Iggles were defeated by my glorious Raiders. Conisder it a Public Service Announcement, you do have that over there on your little island, don't you?

Bout time I found another dedicated Raider fan Elijah. But the greatest will always be Kenny Stabler. Met him in '95 at the Napa Valley training camp when they opened up practice and had fan day. Have a picture of me and the late Dan Turk (BIIIG) Also got to meet a lot of my other favorites. Even met Pat Harlow and His mom who was trying to find a #75 jersey which I was wearing at the time, Old Howie Long and Frank Vella. Well glad to hear the support but was suprised to hear it here of all places. SUPERBOWL baby.

------------------

"D-Day was a nightmare. Even now it brings pain to recall what happened there on June 6, 1944. I have returned many times to honor the valiant men who died on that beach. They should never be forgotten. Nor should those who lived to carry the day by the slimmest of margins. Every man who set foot on Omaha Beach that day was a hero."

General Omar Bradley-