Slow scrolling......

I just changed from a voodoo3/2000 (16 meg) to a riva tnt2 (32 meg) for my k62-400. I expected scrolling, especially on large and huge scenarios, to be much better but noticed no difference. It's still slow and choppy. Anybody know the problem?

Also, every once in a while, the computer locks up requiring a hard boot. Anybody know the problem here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This question belongs to the support forum.

Your TNT2 is for many opertions slower than the Voodoo card, you shouldn't expect a speedup, even if the TNT2 has better quake numbers.

As for the hangs, you didn't even post which OS or drivers version you use, how are we supposed to comment on it?

Ok, the problem is the following:

k62-400.

I am not much wrong in saying that your processor is unable to use most of the polygon counting power your new display adapter gave you. For K62-400, a voodoo 3 is as good as it gets. I had a celeron1 400 system (definetly kicks k62) for a while with a GeForce256, and the improvement over voodoo2 was almost nonexistent. Your processor is very old, try to afford a new one, a duron 600-800 is cheap, clockable and with your new card it would help you.

IMHO the most important asset for playing CM smoothly is processor power, my "scrolling" leaped after I replaced the celeron 400 with a AMD ThunderBird 900Mhz, the difference with the current system using Matrox g450 and a GeForce256 was so small I'm not sure if it was there.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

As for the hangs, you didn't even post which OS or drivers version you use, how are we supposed to comment on it?<hr></blockquote>

Whoa, there, redwolf. To be honest, I had that same thought cross my mind, but don't you think you could have been a little less harsh with your tone? "What OS and drivers are you using?" would have accomplished the same thing, and made you look like a much nicer guy. smile.gif

pilgrim

-- self-appointed deputy of forum-etiquette

(just so no-one else had to say it) :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pilgrim:

Whoa, there, redwolf. To be honest, I had that same thought cross my mind, but don't you think you could have been a little less harsh with your tone? "What OS and drivers are you using?" would have accomplished the same thing, and made you look like a much nicer guy. smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

I am working on one of the OpenSource OSes and I meet similar questions often.

Sad but true, in my experience it is strictly required to be harsh in such cases, otherwise the users will never be able to get useful support out of user communities. Of course, stupid questions are unavoidable and I would never flame a person for a stupid question, however, in cases like these (obviously relevant info missed *and* wrong forum) it is obvious that the person can't be very considerate to start from, hence a humble request is of no use.

In a way I claim that being harsh here is doing the person a favour. From my observation, people in this situation will throw the towel quickly when they don't get answers, and humble hints to missing data are just counted as "no answer". If you hammer the message a little, best done with sarcasm, he may think you are an a...le, but there is a big chance that he gets the idea.

Hmm, now I understand where you're coming from.

I'm not sure I could ever get up the gumption to act like a grumpy old codger myself, but I *do* understand. smile.gif Plus, a non-long-time-forum-junkie might think we're all a bunch of grumpy old codgers.

And, my apologies for majorly sidetracking this thread...

Edited to include my humblest apologies, and I forgot a comment.

Edit #2 because I goofed the smiley....grumble, grumble.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: pilgrim ]

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: pilgrim ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rich12545:

Redwolf, you're full of crap.

To everyone else, thank you for your responses. I guess I'll have to continue with mediocre scrolling or spring for a new system.<hr></blockquote>

Be my guest. Good to hear this conversation fixed your hangs.