Essential Mods (for newbie)

Can someone suggest what would be considered the most preferred modifications to the game. I see TONS of options out there...but would like to first install the more critical ones.

Also..do these mods apply for scenarios and campaigns? If I install a snow mod, for instance, will it just be loaded when I get to a snow battle?

Thanks

mark

First up install the "mad dog mod packs"

Then :-

Terrain -

Gunslingers (misc, terrain & trees) then..

Kumps (treebase, autumn, misc, sky & trees)

add to this "Rubble by Tiger"

Buildings - Panzertruppen's Building mods

Units - any that take your fancy (I use around 45).

Interface - "Clipboard" by Deanco is a must

Hope this helps, personal choice is important, try some of the others but this is what I keep coming back to.

Don't forget to get Tigers Marsh mod too. That one is really nice, and fine the good stone walls (I forget who does them.) I think it is also Tiger who has an alternate toned down hedge (low and high) that I find better than the original.

For units, I would go with Kitty's Tiger, that super lookin' Panther that came out last week (Audace?) the Sherman Pack (I use fplain so I don't have to mess with batch files) and get some good uniform and face mods.

I had a difficult time finding some better half-tracks, but I found some finally, was it on Tom's site? Or maybe that Alaskan fisherman had them? I don't know, but they are much better than the original. I thought the German originals looked a little weird. Oh for Germans there is also a good PzIV set.

Thest things are all hi-res, so if you don't have a super-system ignore everything I just said...

P.S. As far as I can tell, EVERYONE uses Deanco's Gunmetal Mod (just look at the screenshots people post : ) ). His stuff is first rate, and I wish Big Time would give him a slap on the back for his great stuff. Don't be shy, Deanco!

[This message has been edited by Panzer Leader (edited 03-16-2001).]

Originally posted by deanco:

Buildings, terrain, sky, and interface make the biggest difference to the overall look. (And, yes, I am Teuton my own horn here) smile.gif After that you can start collecting tank models, get the hamster mods, etc etc etc.

Deanco, your "Clipboard" mod. is one of my very favorite, well done and thank you.

Really you guys, thanks a lot. I just wanna say a couple things here. One, I never meant to be a CM modder at all when I did my first mod, the C&C indicators. One day I said, "Hey. That's some pretty important info there. I should be able to see that better." That's it. Then, I got a lot of encouragement and good, constructive criticsm from certain people in the very beginning. Those people, and the folks that came after, kind of led me on my way, so to speak. They made me want to make more mods, and they reminded me that I must be very critical of my own work, since grogs will be using it!! smile.gif

The other thing is, I visited the Tribes board and saw some of the "All Your Base" photos. Now THOSE guys know how to use Photoshop, eh? So it's important to keep things in perspective and know where you stand in the world.

I guess the thing that's most in my favor here is that I really like Combat Mission a lot. But really the biggest thanks are to the people who took the time to write and encourage, and also find fault with. So it really is kind of a relationship in a way. I wouldn't be here, and I definately wouldn't be so 'good', if it weren't for y'all.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I had a difficult time finding some better half-tracks, but I found some finally, was it on Tom's site? Or maybe that Alaskan fisherman had them? I don't know, but they are much better than the original.

Sorry, I don't have them. You will find some great terrain mods on my website, though. Gunnergoz has his set of hi-res speckled terrains, and if your system gets slowed down by all the hires mods you've installed, you can use Olle Petersson's ultra low res terrains to speed it back up again.

Also, be sure to install my Alaskan gillnet skiff mod to replace the assault boats with an alunimum skiff. It's also on The Last Defense.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Free hosting for your CM pictures!

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 03-16-2001).]

I beieve Madmatt is going to be posting an update to his "modders guide" at CMHQ http://www.combatmission.com/ soon. Also, you need to decide about the darker terrain mods, such as DD's. Some people love them, for me they are too dark. It's personal. Start with Matts site. CM Outpost and Combat Missions are the other 2 priemer places. IMHO

------------------

•Non illegitimi carborundum est

•If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram