New info on slow turrets (Panther, Tiger I/II)

It definitely was interesting to read comments there from a curator of the Patton Museum for armored vehicles. Guys like those can sometimes get the opportunity to "test out" what a historical tank could do either in theory or in practicality.

Guest machineman

Definately interesting. Still, the curators opinion seems to be based on the fact that the Sherman does not need to be revved or speed selected, therefore the Panther shouldn't either, therefore he makes a big deal of this.

In other words, if you run a Panther like a Sherman, the turret is going to be very slow.

But, a Panther was not made to be run like a Sherman.

1)the later two speed+variable speed hydraulic system was DESIGNED to take advantage of a)selecting the correct speed (one of two, not that hard), and b)taking advantage of engine revs (it can't be THAT hard to rev an engine, even a touchy one. The operators manual reccs working rpm on these engines at 1800-2000)

2)if moving any hydraulic system will load an engine, especially one moving a big gun like that. However, operating rpm should be kept at 1800-2000 anyway, and speed regulated with the gears. In which case unless you were travelling in road gear there should be plenty of extra power to play with. The Panther after all had a powerful engine for it's size. I suspect a Sherman would be shifted less (as the transmission was not as sophisticated) and the rpm varied more.

I'd like to see what other Panther owners have to put in on this, say the museums of Munster, Bovington, or Samur.

Bumping this for two reasons:

1. Charles answered many questions for me in doing research for CM. He has my eternal thanks.

2. Gee, Remember all the hollaring over this?

Rune

Just to let you all know, I posted that question in the AFV forum the other night. After finding out about this method of turret traverse, I wanted to find hard facts about weather this was true or not.

Weather or not Steve and Charles decide to put this in CM, it seems that this was a fairly common practice among tank gunners.

It also seems that this "stand still" turret traverse operation was also employed in Tiger and Tiger II tanks as well.

Note: The panther D incapable of this operation, but the panther A G and G late was.

Just to let you all know, I posted that question in the AFV forum the other night. After finding out about this method of turret traverse, I wanted to find hard facts about weather this was true or not.

Weather or not Steve and Charles decide to put this in CM, it seems that this was a fairly common practice among tank gunners.

It also seems that this "stand still" turret traverse operation was also employed in Tiger and Tiger II tanks as well.

Note: The panther D incapable of this operation, but the panther A G and G late was.

Originally posted by Freak:

Tiger I had a single speed turret tranverse much like the Panther D

Originally posted by machineman:

Definately interesting. Still, the curators opinion seems to be based on the fact that the Sherman does not need to be revved or speed selected, therefore the Panther shouldn't either, therefore he makes a big deal of this.

In other words, if you run a Panther like a Sherman, the turret is going to be very slow.

That was my problem with the comments as well machineman. We can take all these negative comparisons problem is we have no 1st hand anecdotal evidence etc, concerning how the traverse worked operationaly, all one could see from reading the Panther's problem & improvements implemeted data is a lack of any traverse related problems.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.