PC Specs to play well

I'm one of the people that have been watching Combat Mission from afar and think I'm ready to jump in when "???? to Berlin" is available.

I've noticed many threads complaining about system performance. What does it take to run the game *well*?

I have a P3-800, 256mb of RAM, GeForce2 GTS. Is that going to get it?

For the life of me, I can't imagine why a turn-based game would need lots of horsepower.

Forge,

I run a PII-450 with 128 mb of RAM and a 16 mb graphics card. I experience a SLIGHT drop-off only when playing the biggest of the big battles. Your system should work very nicely for CM1 and CM2.

To clarify, CM is not a turn-based game in the traditional sense. Yes, each player plots moves sequentially, but that is where the similarity ends. The action for each turn is resolved simultaneously.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> For the life of me, I can't imagine why a turn-based game would need lots of horsepower.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<hr></blockquote>

Some of the scenarios can have as many as 300 animated 3D objects on the map, and when you add path and target lines + smoke & fog effects you can actually push a video card pretty hard.

For example, my Radeon drops a few frames when rotating the map in the Sherbrook Fusilier's scenario (A large battle in CM's CDROM) which is something that never happens when I play Unreal Tournament with all graphics options maxed out and 16 bots in play.

All the high res mods available also have a way of filling up a video card's memory.

You'll want a decent CPU to help with crunching the results of huge turns too, while this does not have an effect in gameplay as much as the 3D frame rate, it can save you some time, especially if you are playing TCP/IP games.

You can play the game with some failry low spec computers, I started with a 333mhz iMac with a 6mb video card for example, but will get your money's worth from any hardware improvements you see fit to get.

Gyrene

I have a Celeron-566, 191 MB RAM, 66 mHZ bus, and a *2 MB* Video card...even with all hi-res mods, it does OK...maybe a bit slow panning at Level 1 on bigger battles.

Of course, it takes awhile to run, say, an 8000pt. ME w/ 60 AFV's like South of Sword...maybe 1+ minutes each for the AI's moves and the movie calculation.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Forge:

I'm one of the people that have been watching Combat Mission from afar and think I'm ready to jump in when "???? to Berlin" is available.

I've noticed many threads complaining about system performance. What does it take to run the game *well*?

I have a P3-800, 256mb of RAM, GeForce2 GTS. Is that going to get it?

For the life of me, I can't imagine why a turn-based game would need lots of horsepower.<hr></blockquote>

Your system is fine.

Being a turn-based game has nothing to do with it. CM is a 3D game that pushes more polygons than about any other game out there. Plus each object has many texture files. Not just one 256x256 file that holds every texture of the object. Most hi-res files are about 512x256 and that's just one side of a object. So a good video card with lots of VRAM is a must. Your Geforce 2 GTS is plenty. That's why I have. You should be able to run all hi-res mods.

I thought my 300 MHz Celeron with 64 MB RAM and a 16 MB Voodoo Banshee video card ran the game quite acceptably, with few problems.

I also ran it on a 433 MHz Celeron laptop with no video accelerator on a liquid crystal screen, and it ran ok but the video was not particularly great. Certainly playable, though, as long as I wasn't trying to play very long on battery, and I made sure the laptop had enough ventilation so it wouldn't overheat! :rolleyes:

I tried on a 200 MHz Pentium MMX with a 16 MB Voodoo 2 or Banshee (don't know), and it was unplayable, however.

Better systems give better results. 700 MHz with TNT 2 is pretty nice. 1.4GHz Athlon with GeForce 2 is another order nicer. But, the 300 MHz Celeron with Voodoo Banshee was ok for me.

PvK