Enemy at the Gates Review

I saw it last night and though it was so so. It wasn't horrible, but it could have been much better. The love story was korny, but I could have forgiven it with a couple of good battle scenes. The first battle was ok, but it didn't give me that pit-in-the-stomach the SPR's opening scene did the first time I saw it. You had lots of russians charging to thier deaths (which is historic I guess), but I would have liked to have seen some behind the barrel of an german mg (ala SPR) shots or maybe some hand-to-hand combat mixing it up in the trenches bayanetting, just show a few more tight shots of the germans maybe. The battles seemed filmed from to far of a 3rd person to tell what was really going on. Lots of guys charge, some shooting and then lots of bodies. Since you have all those extras standing around dressed in thier gear, you might as well have a couple of good solid battles scenes and then I would have been pretty satisfied with wrapping it up with a lot of quite sniping.

Having read a few books on the battle, I didn't get a scence of dire situation the ruskies were in. The dock scenes did i supose, but whenever they zoomed down to the individual characters/soldiers, nobody was ever starving or chasing rats around trying to scrape up dinner. And the family scenes in the apartment basement seemed too relaxed.

All in all, I didn't not like the movie, I just wish they hadn't wasted a good oppertunity show us what stalingrad was really like. I guess that wasn't the intent of the movie in the 1st place. I suggest the movie Stalingrad (the newer one) over this one for pure fighting scenes. That movie had it's faults too, just keep your finger close the ff button on your vcr controller. Has anyone seen the older movie Stalingrad (from the 50's I think)? I have heard that that was a good movie with lots of real historic equipment and such.

I'd say, go see it, just go for the cheaper daytime prices...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Spook:

Hmmmmm. You mean the Blue Ridge range, or the Virginia Appalachians as a whole? In nearby towns like Lexington or Charlottesville or Lynchburg, it wasn't overly obvious to me. But then, I'm not exactly the most perceptive of people. redface.gif

Nah, you got to go farther west to the hollers in Appalachia -- extreme western VA and West VA. Those boys are seriously inbred, and they do have names like Oxford dons, strangely enough. I know, because I wrote a check to one after he nearly destroyed my sanity and my house.

They come around my suburban VA neighborhood regularly looking to do tree work. One redneck + one chainsaw + one pick-up truck equals a "tree service".

Many years ago, I made the mistake of impulse hiring a roving truck with a few of these guys to do treework in my yard. I can testify to the stark terror of realizing one's mistake when one guy went around the back of the house with a buzzing chainsaw, while the other guy went in the opposite direction. I could only follow one guy at a time, as I listened to the dull thuds of falling trees around my house.

After they knocked down my neighbor's fence and my power line, leaving much debris, they departed to whence they came about 100 miles from here. All in a day's work for them!

Thus endeth the OT lesson on persons from Appalachia and their folkways...

------------------

There are good reasons why the movie was called "Patton" rather than "Hodges".

[This message has been edited by Lawyer (edited 03-19-2001).]

Originally posted by Germanboy:

Must have been the Blue Ridge whatevers, and only really isolated places. I was told this years ago by my Japanese lecturer, and it somehow made sense to me. Still does make more sense than 12th/13th century English having some similarity to North American English (which one anyway - Alabama rednecks or Boston Wasps?).

Hmm, if it was true, maybe that is a cheap way to get the Domesday Book translated...

Well I'll add my thoughts if I can...

I might be wrong on this, but does anyone else think that people from Cornwall, Devonshire, Somerset sound vaguely North American-ish?

If you listen to "I've Got A Combine Harvester" by The Wurzels (from Somerset) it sounds exactly like you'd expect some American red neck to talk (no dis-respect intended smile.gif )

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by M. Bates:

I might be wrong on this, but does anyone else think that people from Cornwall, Devonshire, Somerset sound vaguely North American-ish?

Nahhh - get outta here biggrin.gif

They don't speak English down there anyway...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Guest Madmatt

Okay, this thread is getting a little big. Lets lock it up and if you want go ahead and start it anew in the General Topic Forum.

Madmatt