idiot gunners

how is it possible for a crack tank crew to have an amateur with them, the gunner. my tanks (panther, non moving) gunner missed twice when firing a stationary target at 100m away (sherman). when i operated a light tank in the army it was impossible to miss at that range (we had basic optics/sights, no laser range finders or other toys). even under pressure i dont believe that a crack gunner would miss. in real life i would send that dim-witted idiot to meet oskar dirlewanger and his merry chaps!

On the other hand, my fast-moving Sherman just snapped off a 350-meter shot at a PzIV and brewed it up real good. I was pleasantly surprised. But I always bear in mind the old adage: "Luck never gives; it only lends."

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

Alert, a story rerun coming.

cmoh wrote:

how is it possible for a crack tank crew to have an amateur with them, the gunner. my tanks (panther, non moving) gunner missed twice when firing a stationary target at 100m away (sherman).

Here's one interesting comparison. On late June 1944 one Finnish T-26 light tank wandered into target area of a Finnish 75 mm Pak 40 AT gun. The gun crew mistook the tank as enemy and fired. And missed. The range was only ~15 meters (the tank had come from behind a house). The gun then fired again, even though the tank commander shouted warnings. This time they hit, destroying the tank.

- Tommi

Actually, Terence's answer is a fine one in a way he may not have intended.

As one example, the Brits used to give men sent off on an attack a rum ration, that filled a canteen cup about half way. Others had there one versions, and the cellars of France were a famous and constant lure.

Perhaps your crack gunner was plastered - LOL.

ha ha ha!!

I read that one of the reasons that it took so long to conquer Normandy, aside from the bocage and the stubborn defense of the German forces was the fact that every home had a keg of calvados in the cellar, and that the advancing US and British and Canadian troops sampled it extensively every time they libarated another Norman farmhouse.

(I don't care if this is true, and if it isn't, I don't want to know. smile.gif )

Have you guys ever had calvados? Its nice.

Originally posted by Terence:

ha ha ha!!

I read that one of the reasons that it took so long to conquer Normandy, aside from the bocage and the stubborn defense of the German forces was the fact that every home had a keg of calvados in the cellar, and that the advancing US and British and Canadian troops sampled it extensively every time they libarated another Norman farmhouse.

(I don't care if this is true, and if it isn't, I don't want to know. smile.gif )

Have you guys ever had calvados? Its nice.

The calvados you are talking about is pretty refined - i understand they were drinking a l ot of underaged very raw calvados on many occasions in Normandy. Not that the troops minded (or knew the difference....)!!

As for Rum Rations - this was very much a reality still in WW II. There was an old joke in Legion Magazine about two guys talking.

"What does 'mixed emotions' mean?" asked one soldier.

The other replied "Picture the Regimental Sergeant major going over the side of a cliff in his jeep....with the rum ration in the back seat!"

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm