That German optic thingy

Most resources I've come across make the obligatory reference to 'superior German optics' when talking about Panzer tactics, especially at the Eastern Front. Now, the problem is, they also stop there -- if lucky, they mention that a Tiger had a TZF 9b or c, while a Panther had a TZF 12 something, the Germans changed from binocular to monocular sights in the middle of the war, and if you're really really lucky, they stick in a sketch of the markings the gunner would see on the scope.

Now, what I'd like to know (mostly for general knowledge's sake) is:

- what was the exact procedure the gunner used to acquire the target and compute the distance?

- what exactly did the different scopes look like when you peek through them?

- what optics did TC, driver, MG operator, whoever... have?

- what was that superiority bit, ie. what was the gear Soviets, Amis and Brits were using?

Any website or book references would be appreciated!

Patolino, in my opinion this whole optics thing seems to be one of the worst researched fields in WWII history. For quite some time now I'm trying to get my hands on sources, documents, anything which would cover the optics used by Axis and Allies during the war and believe me, it's tough.

Anyway, from what I have been able to gather so far, there are two main differences between German and other optics. These are the reticles used, and optical coatings. Please keep in mind that I will generalising a little to keep this brief.

Reticles: Germans seemed to use what is generally regarded as well thought out reticles for their gunscopes, which allowed for quicker and more precise rangefinding, even at longer distances. Towards the end of the war this advantage decreased as the Allies learned to improve their reticles.

Optical coatings: Germans were first to use advanced (by then) coatings for their optics, improving things like light transmission, contrast, and resolution, meaning that they could "see" better during adverse weather conditions (overcast, rain etc.) and also see "further". As far as I know this advantage stayed until after the war.

So much for a general overview, the problem starts when you try to dig into specific reticles and optical systems. Even finding technical data is tough. But I hope this helps a little in answering your question.